Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Patrick9915

Anyone use clams up here?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I know a lot of Jersey guys do and I know we have clams in our waters but I've never heard of anyone fishing clams for stripers in CT. For porgie and other fish but never for stripers.

Years ago, the was a spot and probably still is, just south of Roosevelt Island, in the East River( between Manhattan and Queens) that was good with clams. And clam belly chum.smile.gif

But not up here. IMO, there is no need to.smile.gif

I fish for Stripers in many states. Funny how bait is used in one and not others for the same fish. Same with lures and techniques. I cast my Sluggo's when fishing in the Chesapeake and have been asked by other striper chasers what I'm fishing for.

Since I have found clams in many Striper bellies here in CT I would say there appetite doesn't change from state to state.

I would think that the lack of current over most places that hold clams and no surf to expose them or break them up would make getting at them very tough for bass, so I don't think they are anywhere near a primary forage.

View PostI would think that the lack of current over most places that hold clams and no surf to expose them or break them up would make getting at them very tough for bass, so I don't think they are anywhere near a primary forage.

What he said

Hi, Let me take you back to the halcyon days of the CT River mouth!! (Late 60s and early 70s), With a can of clam bellys, anchored up at the last breakwater on the make tide, chumming w/the bellies, 40 and 50 schoolies and sometimes larger stripers were the norm. Catch and release was the by-word at that location, mainly because CT had a gamefish only ruling on Bass. That meant for your own use, no selling!! Used the same technique in the Pamet River on the Cape for unbelievable results as well as under the Bridges in Reynolds Channel. Anyway, no mystery as to Stripers love of clams. Just an old guy's memories. Casey Ghee

Casey, I don't doubt for one minute that they eat them if given the chance, and chumming up schoolies with a bucket of bellies is probably gonna work damn well just about anywhere. However, if I'm going to be slinging bait and I know that clams aren't on the regular menu for the fish in my area, I'm going to go with something bigger, stinkier, and easier to get and fish with - bunker. Put me on a beach in Jersey after a big storm with shells washed-up everywhere and its a different story.

View PostI would think that the lack of current over most places that hold clams and no surf to expose them or break them up would make getting at them very tough for bass, so I don't think they are anywhere near a primary forage.

'Yeah, but it's not like they are native to the area. If the same bass that pass jersey eat clams in jersey on their way up, why wouldn't they want them here?

I know, i've tried em a bunch of times, with mackerel, with bunker, etc., while plugging and dead-sticking clams at the same time, and the bunker always outperforms the other dead baits.

View Post'Yeah, but it's not like they are native to the area.

I've come to believe they are. I think the overwhelming majority of our fish never go south of Raritan Bay and either winter over there, in the Hudson, or one of our rivers or harbor mouths. We might get a few southern-stock fish that pass through during their migrations, but I'm pretty much convinced that our summer fish never stray far from the sound.

we catch alot of bass on clams in the spring in raritan bay. Raritan bay at its worst is usually calmer than anywhere outfront on a normal day. You can stand waist deep on the nastiest of nights and not get knocked around by current/small chop. The fishin is alot better when the wind is howling in your face, but still, its not enough to bust up any clams. our early spring bass usually got their noses in the mud rootin around for goodies to eat, so clams fit the menu perfectly. Once the bunker show up, the better bass key in on them and pretty much ignore clams.

I am not familiar with CT waters, but i'd guess clams would be a prime bait on any mud flats-type areas in the early spring before the bunker show up. But, that time of year the bulk of the bass are small and even smaller, and your chasin numbers of fish not quality.