Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
passiton

Fixing Schools

Rate this topic

100 posts in this topic

I just came back from a 4 day workshop on making instruction more effective in schools. There were some pretty lame presenters, but there were also a couple of truly excellent speakers with some disturbing ideas. Unfortunately, telling the 1000 or so people in that room that we are failing many of our kids is like preaching to the choir: we were there because we think there has to be a better way to do many of the things we seem to be screwing up.

What do you think is wrong with public schools and what would you do to fix them?

I'm not against strong unions....but if a teacher honestly sucks, is out dated, stealing a year from our kids while he/she gets by.....there needs to be a way to get rid of them.

The worst schools that I know about suffer because the kids miss 20-30 days per school year. They eff up themselves and then everyone else cause they are clueless. Of course if your parent(s) let you slide 20 or 30 days they are useless as role models and probably can't help their kids learn anyway.

In my kids school the parents simply don't make their kids do the homework as required. We are fortunate (well we work really hard to be able to afford) to live in a school district w very fine schools.

GET RID OF THE UNIONS! The Unions (not the teachers) are only concerned about their members not the children.

Eliminate homogenous grouping and make classrooms ability based. IMO all students will achieve when they move at the same pace.

View PostI'm not against strong unions....but if a teacher honestly sucks, is out dated, stealing a year from our kids while he/she gets by.....there needs to be a way to get rid of them.

icon14.gif

There is a way to get rid of them, but it's still pretty difficult to do. Those folks steal more than year from kids: they steal opportunity and motivation. The kids that don't show up and/or don't do their homework are reinforced in those behaviors when they get teachers like this. If the teacher doesn't care, why should I?

I have taught at the college and community college level.....

Some of these students can not spell, write, or speak in public.....stop pushing them through....if they do not get it...then make them stay back

Pay teachers on an performance basis?

View Post

I disagree because all of the teachers will evacuate the inner cities and head off to the suburbs where parent interaction is much higher and students perform better.

You could take the best teachers from Phillips Andover and put them in the inner city and those same "top teachers" will have the same results that the teachers in the inner city will have.

The kids in the inner city are not concerned about doing homework they are concerned about getting some thing to eat and fighting off their abusive parent.

Schools don't need "fixing",

they work the way the "ownership society" want's them to.

It's a dumbing down factory that conditions people for lives

of slavish unquestioning obedience to authority.

You really think the "ownership society" wants educated

free thinking, autonomous people cwm27.gifcwm12.gif

If you want to improve public education

you have to teach the students how to survive in society.

The current model is chock full of useless trivia disguised

as "knowledge" and leave the student with little to no critical

thinking skills, let alone any educated ability to detect

bullshirt when they see it. People need basic education

grounded in the essentials relevant to their lives, not

lots of names, dates, & other esoteric trivia.

View PostSchools don't need "fixing",

they work the way the "ownership society" want's them to.

It's a dumbing down factory that conditions people for lives

of slavish unquestioning obedience to authority.

You really think the "ownership society" wants educated

free thinking, autonomous people cwm27.gifcwm12.gif

If you want to improve public education

you have to teach the students how to survive in society.

The current model is chock full of useless trivia disguised

as "knowledge" and leave the student with little to no critical

thinking skills, let alone any educated ability to detect

bullshirt when they see it. People need basic education

grounded in the essentials relevant to their lives, not

lots of names, dates, & other esoteric trivia.

cwm27.gif <- I'm not laughing at your views, just the way you express your position. Dumbing down factory, instant classic.

Basic education needs to start with a survival in the wilderness course. Of course, the fatties will last longer without food but the fit will be able to beat them to any forage. An epic battle, no doubt.

MikeMc pegged it. Its mostly up to the parents. Even in good neighborhoods you can see where students of disinterested parents don't do nearly as well as those of pain in the a**, nagging (did you do your homework yet?), teacher involved, reportcard checking, TV and cell phone turn offing, overall education stressing parents. Being a dad is the hardest job I've ever had, and believe me I've had a few. The country's schools are in trouble because the family in general in this country is in trouble. As a cop I saw 1st hand entire sections of the city with single moms, kids being raised by extended family members, no fathers, no discipline, no one with guts enough to give guidance, do the tough thing and say 'no' or bring order into the home. To put the blame on unions, teachers or somewhere else is just being short sighted. We should look to ourselves mostly if we're unhappy the young minds coming into the world lately.

View PostMikeMc pegged it. Its mostly up to the parents. Even in good neighborhoods you can see where students of disinterested parents don't do nearly as well as those of pain in the a**, nagging (did you do your homework yet?), teacher involved, reportcard checking, TV and cell phone turn offing, overall education stressing parents. Being a dad is the hardest job I've ever had, and believe me I've had a few. The country's schools are in trouble because the family in general in this country is in trouble. As a cop I saw 1st hand entire sections of the city with single moms, kids being raised by extended family members, no fathers, no discipline, no one with guts enough to give guidance, do the tough thing and say 'no' or bring order into the home. To put the blame on unions, teachers or somewhere else is just being short sighted. We should look to ourselves mostly if we're unhappy the young minds coming into the world lately.

Steve,

I agree with you on the parents involvement, but I also agree that academic material and the way it is presented, leaves a lot to be desired.

I did great in subjects I enjoyed, and that were presented by teachers wo loved what they were doing, and wanted to learn how they needed to teach so the student's could grasp the information.

The classes I loved, I hardly did any homework, because I understood the subject. I could read the course material and ace the tests and essays, because I knew the material cold, by understanding it, not by wrote.

I really believe the teaching process needs to change drastically as well as the information given. As Punk Freud said oh so well, "schools are dumbing down factories". America has been dumbing down for a long time, and it makes me sad to see it.

Common sense? Ingenuity, free thinking and reasoning skills? What are these??frown.gif

View PostI have taught at the college and community college level.....

Some of these students can not spell, write, or speak in public.....stop pushing them through....if they do not get it...then make them stay back

This is true, Todays HS teachers just push them through, been fighting with the school for years. My son has mid-90 across the board and he cant add 37+46 in his head in the 12th grade.Last year they told me he didn't need Math, I'm sick over his hand writing and hes not alone, his class mates are the same. I never fineshed the 8th grade and my spelling shows it but i did go back for my GED and I know 10x the history my son knows, my handwriting is 10 fold my sons. College? Can't wait to pay for his college so he can be just as unedgucated with a degree in it.mad.gif I see a lot of people like to blame the parents and there is parents out there that don't give a siht but thats bull siht too, I know plenty of parents that sit with there kids to help and that's the ONLY true help there kids get. Todays teachers are only concerned with there pay and paid days off and NOT there students.

First of all you have to admit that there are some truly wonderful schools, some remarkable administrators, and terrific teachers. The problem is that they are usually all clustered together in well off neighborhoods, leaving others with "the rest". Something has to be done to get better schools, administrators, and teachers into those areas.