Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Hatch Reels

Rate this topic

71 posts in this topic

I went through the literature brought home from Somerset today. That West Coast reel maker that I couldn't quite remember was Hatch, and I did bring home their catalog. A very New Age piece of reel literature, most of the print space being spent on one of the owner's stories of fishing and travel. He's apparently just hit forty, and desires the reader to share his interest in his travels, and his navel. The catalog reminds me of a New Age Vegan cookbook I bought years ago, by which I mean information is presented as obscurely as possible in small type and noncontrasting colors. There actually is some information, I found it eventually at the catalog's end.

All that said, the reels may be perfectly fine, and worth their price, which rises into Abel/Tibor levels for the bigger models. Does anyone have any knowledge of these reels? Caught any fish? Put in useful time in salt water?

Don't know of anyone that has fished them but they seam solid. The rep told me the 12 had 14sq. inches of drag surface in the cartridge. Would like to put it on some of our blue fins here in the NE. Me and a few of my fishin buds are gonna try to get the boat up to cape cod bay in Aug to stick some on the fly. Gonna be tuff $$$$$$$$ this yr. Proly be stickin with the Pacific.

First looked at the Hatch at last years show and being into quality machining and worksmanship all my life found the finished product absolutely flawless. Anyone with a knowledge of what it takes to machine a reel frame with a built in reelseat (not two pieces attached with screws) is blown away. This alone is a tipoff at to the Hatch's worth. Fast foward to this summer.

I invited a friend out Striper fishing and we got into them pretty good, fish up to the mid teens. He had a Hatch 7 which I took a turn with. One 8lb Bass that was it. I had to have one. Once home I contacted a friend and called in a favor and was able to secure one at a small discount. At that time I owned three Van Staal C-Vex 7/8's and a Tibor. The sale of the Tibor paid the Hatch bill.

The test for me came during our breif Albie run in Sept. THE DRAG ON THIS REEL IS UNMATCHED. Firstly it doesn't lock right up in a quarter turn. I was able to play 8-9lb Albies just using to drag knob like the were toys. Set the drag, fish takes off, twist the knob slow em down a bit, apply more tension and bring them to a stop, back off let them run more, slow them again, totally able to play them like a toy, all with the drag knob. This is no BS, I did this, repeatedly, time and time again.

I honestly can't see anyone purchasing a Hatch and not being totaly happy.

X

View PostWell, good luck to them. This economy is going to shake out a lot of small manufacturers.

All things being equal, it looks like it's the big boys that haven't learned to compete with the smaller companies that give way more bang for the buck that are going to take the hammering.

XBMX is a topmotch fly angler (if you're new to this Forum) and I take his tackle assessments seriously. I'm glad to hear a good report. I'd never heard of the brand name before this Somerset show, though, so I wonder how large and well-established their distribution really is .... XBMX, I and RJ are plotting a late-summer run to Mass or RI to go chase schoolie BFT and (with luck) some skipjack. You may have to come and put the HAtch through a more extensive test. Fish only, no motorcycles.

I would bring up 2 concerns when considering this reel. First is the choice of Rulon as a drag material, I have owned other reels that utilized this material and have never beeen happy. Drags were inconsistant and felt like they became sticky after alot of use. The second concern is the sealed maintanance free part. I dont believe that anything that is adjustable and undergoes temp fluctuations will ever remain sealed and maintanance free, add salt water into the mix and you have a recipe for disaster. It does look well machined but adding a couple of extra lines in your 6 axis machines program hardly blows me away, what it does is wast an awful lot of material.

These are just my observations after looking at thier website I have never held one in my hand so take them for what they are worth.

Dave

BrianBM-----thank you for the kind words, now I can't get my hat on. Maybe we can do a float on Raritan Bay when HC comes to town this spring ??

To me BlueFin are akin to pulling up the anchor. Skippys are by far the best but a teen Albie rates a TEN in my book. Get yourself a Hatch you'll kiss me. heart.gifheart.gifheart.gifheart.gif

DaveT----I've been using the V.S. C/vex for the past 7yrs. Very similar sealed modular system, and loved the V.S., never had to service the drag of had any trouble at all. The two are quite close in design.

I wasn't a believer untill I fished one. I'm very criticle as to performance and workmenship. This product is a real sleeper, wish you could test fish a reel like you test cast a rod.

They do look nice, and a test drive would certainly be cool especially with the price of gear. There was actually quite a discussion of these reels on Blantons site (I googled Hatch reviews after making my post). Does the C/vex use rulon? Until I went to the website I wasnt aware anyone used it anymore. It was very popular around 8-10 years ago but those older drags suffered the issues I talked about, maybe these have been addressed and fixed. I guess it is just personal preference I have been fishing and machining long enough to know that everything wears over time and I do not trust anything I cannot inspect and maintain myself.

I'm the guy who let Ricky (XBMX) use my Hatch during that great day of fishing. I fished it lots last season and caught stripers, blues, albie and bonefish on it and really, really like it. I haven't liked Rulon drags historically either, but this one feels different. The drag is very smooth and adjusts very gradually (which I like) and also has a great "look and feel." It certainly feels as sealed as any of the other sealed reels I've tried, but that's based on only one season (from both beach and boat). From at least my first season, I think it's certainly a competitor to the big boys. I own and fish reels from Abel, Charlton, Nautilus, Islander and lots of others, and the Hatch is becoming one of my favorites. It's also reasonably light, actually has more capacity than listed, and has very nice dimensions -- a good diameter to width ratio. Can't say it's "better" than others, but it's definitely a high-end, really solid product. I'm sold.

Thanks for this thread. I have been researching this reel for sometime now and no doubt will be picking one up before this season. I was very impressed with it at the show and I think this thread sealed the deal.

Jim Williams of Just-reels has had good things to say about the Hatch reels (they are his second favorite reels currently) and that says a lot about them. I checked them out at Somerset, very nicely machined and the owner, John, is a super nice guy. My only concern is that the reel still is relatively new and so I'd be a little worried about the future of the manufacturing/warranty with the way the economy. If I wasn't set on building up a serious set of my current favorite reels (2 more Mako's on order atm) I'd have these high up on my list of reels to have.

I would like to see how well the drag does against bigger fish though. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that being able to stop an albie with the drag tells me more that the tippet was way too heavy for the lttle albie than the performance of the drag - it's being able to use high drag settings while protecting a tippet against a fish that is 8-15 times bigger than the breaking strength of your tippet that is IMHO the real test. How does the drag do when you clamp it down to 10 # of drag against a 50# dorado or a 75# YFT?