Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
r2fishl

fishing pogies on the boat

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

depends on the nature of the reef i think. If its scattered debris, then drift it.

If you drift over the same spot a couple times and keep notcing life, anchor up.

Or if you know very specific areas opf the reef with a lot of structure, anchor up on them. especially if its your own boat and theres only a few guys, you can also cast around over a wide area and work different pieces while anchored.

I usually prefer anchoring unless it is a very slow drift in shallower water. otherwise i just find it annoying having to use very heavy weight and keep feeding out line to hold bottom.

thanks guys, for the info. i am going into the third season of my first boat as i was a long time surf junkie. thats still in me. alot of guys seem to dispise the boat forums on this site but to me, as long as we are all catching bass, thats all that matters.argue.gif

oh, you're talking about drifting bunker for bass?

I thought you meant catching "porgies" AKA pogies.

In that case, I'd be a bit more liekly to drift, but again, only if conditions make it reasonable and the bait isn't getting ripped through the water and spinning/dying.

I'd usually like to mark some fish and anchor and chunk/chum and do it that way with chunks or live bunker for bait.

Also, watch what boats around you are doing. If there's a tight fleet of anchored boats, don't try to drift.

One method that can work very well is to use half-live bunker dropped back into a chunk slick at anchor. snipping the tail or cutting the back meat off can do this nicely, but probably would not work as well with a fast drift.