Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hookinfinger

Obama's Approval Rating Drops 15 Points.....

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

in 1 week.

The Gallup Poll on Saturday released the first job-approval rating for President Obama, based on interviews during his first three full days in office: 68 percent.

Now that he's in office, Obama's approval ratings are starting to normalize, as partisan back-and-forth picks up. Just a week ago, Gallup found an astonishing 83 percent approval of how he has handled his transition, showing he had even won over most Republicans.

The new job-approval figure puts him at the upper end of opening poll numbers for presidents, but doesn't set a record.

Gallup's initial job approval ratings were President John F. Kennedy, 72 percent; Dwight Eisenhower, 68 percent; Jimmy Carter, 66 percent; Richard Nixon, 59 percent; Bill Clinton, 58 percent; George W. Bush, 57 percent; and Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, 51 percent.

Intitial approval ratings are based on the ether. People have these perceptions based on silly things like color, and the perception starts to tarnish as soon as the new President is seen in the full light of day.

Obama did well running his campaign, he acted perfectly as a President elect. The inauguration was well done as well. But now that he's in the position of power he's starting to make decisions and people are seeing the real man. Fewer secrets? Not much to complain about there. Fewer lobbyists? Great idea...how about really doing it instead of making exceptions before the ink on the executive order is even dry? Close Gitmo? And move them where and give them what rights? Sure is too bad we already have a perfect $400 million factility located well away from American citizens. No torture? Not many will complain about that. But why are we putting a tax cheat in the cabinet? There's just no excuse for that one other than favors, and we don't do political favors anymore right? We do "change" don't we? We've also gone from "I'm will be everyone's President" to "I won."

And I'm fairly certain we're not done hearing about Emmanuel and a certain Senate seat.

I had hoped that if it was going to be a Democrat, at least it might be an exceptional one. Despite a strong start, I'm not sure we're going to see anything really new after all.

I think he will be under 50% by spring.

When people see that there is very little if anything this Pres or any Pres can do about the economy, and that there Tax cuts and free everything were just campaign rhetoric, he approval will plummet.

The media will do there best to prop him up, but that will only work for a short time. If you have no job and your losing your house, flowery speaches won't mean much.

I can tell you one thing: Obama won't govern based on polls, but based on reality and practicality. People in general are so fickle, mood shifting with the wind, but he won't be worrying about that. I think he understands that's how people are so he's not going to care about polls.

View PostI can tell you one thing: Obama won't govern based on polls, but based on reality and practicality. People in general are so fickle, mood shifting with the wind, but he won't be worrying about that. I think he understands that's how people are so he's not going to care about polls.

I agree. President Obama won't govern based on polls. He has a very good idea for what he and his ilk want this country to be and is and will be working diligently towards that end.

Hopefully, the mood of enough of the population will shift in the wind as the smoke clears and prevent enough of this agenda to prevent the metamorphasis of this country into a government ruled workers paradise.

Jeff B.

could the 15 point drop, be due to him signing the initial closing of gitmo- finally a whiff of coffee woke some people up. You when they thought through the decision to do so a little more. maybe?

View PostI can tell you one thing: Obama won't govern based on polls, but based on reality and practicality. People in general are so fickle, mood shifting with the wind, but he won't be worrying about that. I think he understands that's how people are so he's not going to care about polls.

Good that he and GWB have that much in common.

Can you tell us what else he will or won't do?

Well, that's good. He and and GWB have some things in common afterall. biggrin.gif

I never thought that Bush worried about polls either. He did things his way too, most of which I disagreed, polls be damned which was fine with me. He wasn't always realistic and certainly not pragmatic in many, if not most, cases in dealing with domestic and international crisises, and had too many like-minded, idealogical people in his Administration.

Obama, on the other hand, has assembled a formidable Cabinet full of powerful, experienced, pragmatic, and diversified personalities more than capable of helping him put the country back on the right track as circumstances dictate. He appears to have a very healthy ego to lead this group without being overwhelmed by it. So far, so good but still too early in the game to know where this will lead or it can be sustained. But I wouldn't bet against him at this point as his moves and decisions have been very decisive, centrist and thoughtful. He appears to have a combination of the best of prudent liberal and conservative values.