Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stresst

Stoopid question

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

From this question you will understand I dont know jack about how reels work. Is there a way to silence a Newell? I have several which i've used for years. But now after experimenting with newer reels I cant get myself to fish with one cause there noisy. Is there a fix? Im assuming if there was I would know about it.redface.gif

View PostThat's part of a Newell's charm...but just so you aren't annoyed, you should send the reel to me.biggrin.gif

SURE send me your address I have about 6 of them and there are all annoying! LOL

So im assuming there is no way to fix this?

View PostSURE send me your address I have about 6 of them and there are all annoying! LOL

So im assuming there is no way to fix this?

You are hearing the A/R pawl clicking against the A/R ratchet. Many newer reels us e a one way instant A/R bearing which is quiet, but not as robust in most cases.

You can use some heavy bodied synthetic grease on the pawl/ratchet to quiet it down, but it will not be silent.

BTW, aren't all those Accurates and Tiagras bothering you?

I'll PM you my address as well... After all, I might need them to fish with youbiggrin.gif

Newells can make an awful racket when casting them. It's even worse as the bearings start to go (sure sign they need to be changed). The anti-reverse dog can be quieted by applying a light coat of grease as CD suggested.

If you've never replaced the bearings, you might want to try that. If you are boat fishing only (no casting), try soaking the new bearings in heavy oil before installing (see Alan Tani's post on bearings).

Hang on to those Newells - with the recent passing of Carl Newell, who knows if you'll be able to get any in the future...frown.gif