Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim Murphy

Question about rod loft rod carriers?

14 posts in this topic

Dear Board,

I have a full sized 8 foot bed pickup with a cap on it. I am considering a rod loft carrier because it is supposed to come with brackets that allow you to string it across the truck by the window frames of the cap.

My question is do any of you have this set up and if so how does it work?

Regards,

Tim Murphysmile.gif

I can offer some help, but mine is in an SUV. I love it heart.gif Google rodloft pro for the parent site - rodmounts. All the bracket details can be found there. The only issue is that the rear rod grip holders need to be mounted on top of the support bar. The heavy surf rod & reel combo will not stay in the holder if you hang it down. Here's a shot of my old Expedition where I was using suction cups in the back - the orange bungy cords were there in case the cups let go. I'm able to use the cap brackets that you will probably use in the rear of my current Sequoia for the rear support rod - much better than the suction cups.

IMG_0753.JPG

View Postcool! that looks like a set up that will work good in my suburban! smile.gif

DB, whats the longest pole you had on those racks without taken the rod apart?

OK that's a multi-part answer:

Along the roof line = 9'

Angled down from back to front using drop down hangers on the front support bar = 10' to 11'4". I can get a 1-piece 136-3m pencil rod in a straight line from back to front. Tip ends up where the windshield and dash meet.

Your burban is much longer inside than my Expy was or Sequoia is. I made the lowered hangers using threaded lamp pipe and the plastic u-shaped ends of some cheap Homie's bungee cords. They get zip-tied to the front rod supports. You may not need any angle at all for long rods in your truck.

I use them in my 2006 tahoe and I am able to hang both of them down with no issues and am able to hang up to a 10ft rod in there heart.gif rods stay in my truck year round

I have one in my Suburban and they have to be used "upside down" as Darth Baiter said or everything falls out. I expoxied the suction cups to the glass in the back and used the liner hooks to hang the front on the heavy plastic trim at the second row seats. The rear piece falls off once in awhile no matter how well I epoxy it. The weather seems to play a big roll in how long it'll stay up.

All said and done; I like the rack and it is handy. I can put a 10'6" Bob P fly rod in there, rigged and ready to go............

I too have an 8' bed, w/ an ARE cap and have been using the RodLoft for about three years now. No complaints whatsoever. One of the better gifts I received that year!

I thought i had brilliant idea of hanging the rod on headliner of my suv... but someone already made it! Well, I'm going to see if I can rig something without spending too much..

I guess im digging this up, but with the rod holder two of you mentioned needing to hang them upside down to prevent the rods from falling out. Do the straps that cover the holders not hold the rods in? Also can someone post a close up picture of the holder itself, im not sure how it attaches to the support rod.

View PostI guess im digging this up, but with the rod holder two of you mentioned needing to hang them upside down to prevent the rods from falling out. Do the straps that cover the holders not hold the rods in? Also can someone post a close up picture of the holder itself, im not sure how it attaches to the support rod.

If you look at my pic closely you'll see 2 zip ties that thread thru the holder slots at each end and around the support rod. The ties come with the system or replacements can be sourced at Homies or Lowes. If you hang the rear holders down, the weight of the rods pulls them out of the foam holders. Yes the straps hold them in but the supports not as good. Better to mount them on top.

IMG_0753.JPG

View PostIf you look at my pic closely you'll see 2 zip ties that thread thru the holder slots at each end and around the support rod. The ties come with the system or replacements can be sourced at Homies or Lowes. If you hang the rear holders down, the weight of the rods pulls them out of the foam holders. Yes the straps hold them in but the supports not as good. Better to mount them on top.

IMG_0753.JPG

Thanks for the quick answer! I ask because I am trying to make my own holder via an idea that was in field and stream's last issue...the field and stream uses a series of tarp straps and versa straps (basically a tarp strap with holes throughout to adjust) hung from the coat hooks. The idea is really good minus the fact they want you to use velcro to attach the rods. That would be good for travel but if i wanna throw them in there I think it could become annoying dealing with the velcro.

I did end up getting the same set up DB smile.gif Found them last year at a closing down boat store for 1/2 price!

But I have that problem, the suction cups didn't work well for me, plus I didn't like the set up hanging so low. So I have the rods hanging on the rubber band.

I couldn't upload pic from phone :/

I'm using the metal j hooks they came with. I'm going to make new ones that hang lower, just enough for me to turn them around and sit the rods in the foam.

But I do fit my 10' rods with no problem smile.gif