Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JayDag1128

Penn jigmaster stuck in free spool

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Picked up my reel the other day to find out that I cant get it out of free spool. The lever is in the retrieve position, but its still in free spool. I played around with all the knobs and the drag but its remains in free spool no matter what i do. Any ideas?

Take the side apart and have a look (Easy with Jigmaster).

My guess is that you have to put the knob in free spool and tighten the knob screw.

Probably the screw is loose enough to not bring the spool back to engaged position.

My jigmaster is sitting back home, so I don't have much of a shot about the internal parts as of now.

Maruthu

took the side plate off and heres what i found....the middle thing pops in and out when i switch the lever and its not loose... The first 2 pictures are in free spool and the last 3 are in retireve

pics 2 and 5 look the same but in 2 the middle pin is in and there is a small gap between the gold and silver plate, and in pic 5 the pin is out a little and there is no gap between the gold and silver plate. Spring is in different position too.

View PostTighten up the spool tension knob on the opposite side plate. The spool doesn't have enough tension on it to make up with the pinion gear.

Stevesmile.gif

well i tightened that knob and i felt it get tighter but i still have the same problem. Im able to reel forward and backward with the lever in the retrieve position, its as if the drag is non existant.headscratch.gif

I really don't know what all the parts are called, but I've had the same problem with the same reel. Solution was to completely break the reel down and put it all back together. First time you do it, it's daunting. After that, it's a breeze. Lots of schematics on the web to guide you. Good luck!

Valentine

I had that problem years ago with my Penn squidder 140. What I found out is embarrassing to say but my star drag was lock with the drag all the way loose. When I finally tighten up the star drag the reel come out of what I thought was free spool. When fishing with a swift current we used to loosen the star drag to hold the bottom without the current taking the rig and snagging it up. The side plate clicker was not enough to stop your line from drifting when the current picked up.

JayDag,

IMO John V. nailed the problem. If your handle can be turned both ways the anti-reverse dog is where the problem is located. Either salt build up, or even the spring may be the problem. The reel looks relatively new, so the dog itself should be fine. Not a big deal, it will run like a top once you get the reel sorted out.

Stevesmile.gif

View PostYour Anti-reverse is not working! Needs to be serviced and cleaned probably doesn,t need parts just a cleaning. I do alot of reel service for an area shop. Good Luck

Damn serviced already i used it for maybe 10 trips on pb's

View PostJayDag,

IMO John V. nailed the problem. If your handle can be turned both ways the anti-reverse dog is where the problem is located. Either salt build up, or even the spring may be the problem. The reel looks relatively new, so the dog itself should be fine. Not a big deal, it will run like a top once you get the reel sorted out.

Stevesmile.gif

I agree.