Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
codfish

squid run in the canal

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

squid make a run into the caNAL DURING THE EARLY SPRING for a short burst and then you may also see them later during the year. Amber colored plugs or pink jigs will be closebiggrin.gifwink.gif

i've had some success with pink and amber during the squid run, but i haven't noticed its that much more successful when they're around as opposed to later on. thing about squid is they show up the same time as a lot of other big bait is in the ditch, so a lot of different types of plugs and jigs seem to be successful then as well.

This past season i had a school of squid cruising out in front of me with a school of tinker mac's not that far from them at the same time, I actually got to snag one of the mac's, live line it, and pulled up a 14ish pounder after it drifted only about 10 yards. I tried snagging some of the squid but they are fast!

the Reverse Atom was a deadly plug during the historic squid runs of the 70's and early 80's. i doubt you could find them in any tackle shop nowadays.

3-5 oz ballhead bucktail or Spro jigs with a 7 inch sluggo or longish porkrind trailer (you pick the color). All white works well.

Also, there is a hard to find jig that has a wide flattened head that looks like a squid. It has an erratic wobbling action. Can't remember the name unfortunately, but I've seen it in tackle shops in RI, not in Mass.

-bd

View Postanybody tried live lining squid??

Not here But in california they are candy for big Yellowtail(Jack) and White Sea bass(a large relative of the weakfish but up to 100lbs)

If you can find enough and keep them alive I'm sure they would be deadly on big bass!!smile.gif They seem to be Candy bait in every Ocean!