Canadian fishing

Rate this topic

Apexkeeper

Been watching alot of TV lately and saw a few fishing shows about fishing in a couple really remote lakes in Canada. Where you have to take a small bush plane to get to the lodge.

Anyone ever done one of these type of trips? Know any of the lakes or lodges?

I dunno about you but being air-dropped into the middle of no where hundreds of miles from the nearest thing even resembling civilization and catching monster northern pike and lake trout all day sounds like freakin heaven.

View Post

I dunno about you but being air-dropped into the middle of no where hundreds of miles from the nearest thing even resembling civilization and catching monster northern pike and lake trout all day sounds like freakin heaven.

im a surf fishermen to the bone. but i hear ya i hear ya.i would love to go fishing in one of those places.at least once before i die.i imagine the its big bucks though

TIGHT LINES AND LOTS OF DUNES.

I didn't get airlifted, but I did a canoe trip once with a buddy of mine who had a lot of experience up there. I don't remember exactly where, but I do know it was appox 5 hours north of Toronto.

Started at the camp then canoed/portaged until we were 3 lakes away from where we started. No roads, no people, nothin'. We fished for nice sized pike with big daredevil spoons and caught monster smallmouth on wooley buggers. It was awesome.

Fish the edges.

Well considering there's over 250,000 just in Ontario. l'd have to say your choices are up there are pretty close to endless. First off, choosing the type of fish you'd like to target would narrow it down considerably. Trout, Muskie, Pike, Bass, Walleye... All the different regions will have lakes specific to the species and strains of.

Lets take Muskie and pike for example. There are certain parts of Ontario that have lakes with either one or the other but it's rare to find a lake with both co-existing. The ones with both are usually very large but it does make for some interesting cross-breeds (Tiger Muskie). It's a very cool situation with the muskie strains form lake to lake as well. Different patterns show up in fish from certain lakes that don't in other lakes. Some are more vibrant in smaller lakes and bland in others. Very cool thing to see when you're just spending the weekend lake hopping.

If it's a private guide you're looking for, a lot of them will not be just restricted to one lake. Depending on weather, time constraints, season and species... a lot of them will meet up with you and then take you up to certain areas. If you're looking for guides on certain lakes then that's were the lodges will be more appropriate.

If you're looking to fish for something like Pike then I'd have to suggest a lake called Little Vermilion. I've got a few friends that do a yearly trip up there and this lake holds some freakin' huge pike! 45"-52" monsters are the norm. If you're looking for Muskie try any of the lakes in the Kawartha area. Balsam Lake, Chemong, Buckhorn... There's another area called Lake of the Woods that has some amazing muskie fishing as well. For Walleye I'd have to suggest the Bay of Quinte area in the fall. 17-19 lbers come out of that area all the time. Another great place to catch walleye is a lake called Tamiskami. It's right on the Ontario/Quebec border. Sizes aren't as big as the one's coming from Lake Ontario but the numbers are just outrages.

If you're looking for a guide up there PM me and I'll get you in contact with a few of the ones I know. As far as specific lodges on lakes, l don't want to break any of the rules on the board and promote anyone so l guess PM me for that info as well.

FHR

View PostWell considering there's over 250,000 just in Ontario. l'd have to say your choices are up there are pretty close to endless. First off, choosing the type of fish you'd like to target would narrow it down considerably. Trout, Muskie, Pike, Bass, Walleye... All the different regions will have lakes specific to the species and strains of.

Lets take Muskie and pike for example. There are certain parts of Ontario that have lakes with either one or the other but it's rare to find a lake with both co-existing. The ones with both are usually very large but it does make for some interesting cross-breeds (Tiger Muskie). It's a very cool situation with the muskie strains form lake to lake as well. Different patterns show up in fish from certain lakes that don't in other lakes. Some are more vibrant in smaller lakes and bland in others. Very cool thing to see when you're just spending the weekend lake hopping.

If it's a private guide you're looking for, a lot of them will not be just restricted to one lake. Depending on weather, time constraints, season and species... a lot of them will meet up with you and then take you up to certain areas. If you're looking for guides on certain lakes then that's were the lodges will be more appropriate.

If you're looking to fish for something like Pike then I'd have to suggest a lake called Little Vermilion. I've got a few friends that do a yearly trip up there and this lake holds some freakin' huge pike! 45"-52" monsters are the norm. If you're looking for Muskie try any of the lakes in the Kawartha area. Balsam Lake, Chemong, Buckhorn... There's another area called Lake of the Woods that has some amazing muskie fishing as well. For Walleye I'd have to suggest the Bay of Quinte area in the fall. 17-19 lbers come out of that area all the time. Another great place to catch walleye is a lake called Tamiskami. It's right on the Ontario/Quebec border. Sizes aren't as big as the one's coming from Lake Ontario but the numbers are just outrages.

If you're looking for a guide up there PM me and I'll get you in contact with a few of the ones I know. As far as specific lodges on lakes, l don't want to break any of the rules on the board and promote anyone so l guess PM me for that info as well.

FHR

I honestly could care less what I fish for... What draws me to wanting to do this is spending a week in the middle of no where. No cars, No traffic, No annoying people... Catching some nice pike or musky would just be a bonus at that point. I definitely want to stay at a lodge, I really don't want to camp or travel in and out to the lake every day.

This June will be my 10th trip to Canada over the last 16 years. I've done the comfy/expensive lodges and the flyins. If you want the creature comforts of home and small fish, go to a lodge.

If you want bugs, a shack to sleep in and old boats, that always work biggrin.gif , do a fly-in with Caesar's Lodge and catch tons of fish in the Gion Resv. About $800 per man for a week with 6-10 in a cabin. Gas and 14' boats with 9.9 hp motors. We've had 2,000 fish weeks between Northerns and Walleye. Of course thats not every year but it's a great time. We take our kids now and this year I'm taking my 11 and 13 year old boys. Been saving and selling tackle for 3 months now to go but it will be worth it. Here's my oldest son and I in 2007.

attachment.php?attachmentid=206659&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=206660&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=206661&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=206662&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=206663&stc=1

"Sea shore washed by the suds and the foam, been here so long he's got to callin it home"

Never did a fly in but we go to a place by boat,we've been about 12 times over the last 15 years or so.The island we stay on is about 14 acers with 10 cabins and a lodge, in the middle of a 22,000 surface acre body of water.We don't see anyone but the other folks at camp all week.They put us up in our own cabin w/toilet and showerbiggrin.gif We fish for walleyes,and smallmouth bass.We usually go in august so the pike are down but with the right stuff downriggeres or inline weight you can catch em then.We get 3 meals a day and have a great time!!!Always wanted to do a fly in but this trip is like the fly in without all the work.All we do is fish and when not fishing sit in the sauna play cards and drink beerbiggrin.gif I think the cloest town is about 40 miles away,and with no roads to the area we're in you see nobody but the walleye.Here's a replica of an eye we my brother caught one time we wentbiggrin.gifwalleyejerry-1.jpg?t=1232838379

TAKE A KID FISHING!!!!!!!!!!

A fly in is one of my goals in life but for now, I'll take my yearly trip to the great white north for SM and LM with a few Pike thrown in. It is great to get away from the fax, email, radio, TV and newspaper each year for a week of fishing from 5AM till dark [maybe a shift or two in the dark with black SB's]. I love the solitude and the fishing is great most years. Some day though, that fly in for monster Pike will happen!

D.J.

A group of us drives in to a very secluded lake every spring up there. We ride in on dirt roads and the camp has about 10 cabins. We catch a lot of small pike on spoons every year. None of us can catch a monster up there. I catch bigger pike in Jersey. headscratch.gif The bass and crappie are big. My brother in law even got a large bowfin last year. Here are some pics.

"Lucky" is a fictional character on the interwebs. Nothing "Lucky" says or does can be or should be construed as a real thought by an actual person. Objects in your rear view mirror may appear to be closer than they actually are.