Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xmytruck

New to Building

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hello Guys

I have been poking around this sub forum for a while and want to get into lure building I currently don't have the room for a lathe until I move into a bigger place. But I do have the rest of the toys to start having fun, so how much should I expect to pay for preformed blank? and what type of wood should I request for the blanks?

Thx

X

My advice would be to google plug building kits or trade goods/services with some builders here for blanks.

Typical trades are hardware, lips, tied bucktails, lead jigs, flies, lap dances...etc....

Well, if you have most of the tools, why don't you try handcarving some basswood blanks, it's a relatively easy carving wood. Or google, plug kits and see what you can come up with. There are at least 3 sources of plug kit blanks that I know of, try looking at cape cod tackle, (we don't promote or discuss them here), and Saltys for plug kits.

mods... I hope including these names is not in violation, if they are please remove, thanks smile.gif

View PostWell, if you have most of the tools, why don't you try handcarving some basswood blanks, it's a relatively easy carving wood. Or google, plug kits and see what you can come up with. There are at least 3 sources of plug kit blanks that I know of, try looking at cape cod tackle, (we don't promote or discuss them here), and Saltys for plug kits.

mods... I hope including these names is not in violation, if they are please remove, thanks smile.gif

I agree with the hand carves, if you poke around through the dowel stock at homies or lowes, you'll see about 1/3 of the stock is birtch and the rest is poplar. the birtch is very easy to cut and carve and I've heard from some pretty good biulders (Mike at CCT) that birtch is a good wood and will hold up when sealed properly. most of the guys here say poplar is no good so avoid the wood with lots of thick grains and a greenish tint. with hand carving, I haven't been able to make 2 that are exactlythe same, but I'm getting better, and you will too.

Enjoy!

Matt

Unless your homies has different stock than ours, thats not birch. Some cheap semi-hard wood.

For handcarves, check the area in homies that has white pine for making shelves. Usually can find some clear stuff that is 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick. Decent stuff for carving.

View Post...Typical trades are hardware, lips, tied bucktails, lead jigs, flies, lap dances...etc....

cwm31.gif Or in H'Islanders case, promising not to dance in someone's lap...

Jigman

View PostWell, if you have most of the tools, why don't you try handcarving some basswood blanks, it's a relatively easy carving wood. Or google, plug kits and see what you can come up with. There are at least 3 sources of plug kit blanks that I know of, try looking at cape cod tackle, (we don't promote or discuss them here), and Saltys for plug kits.

View PostI agree with the hand carves, if you poke around through the dowel stock at homies or lowes, you'll see about 1/3 of the stock is birtch and the rest is poplar. the birtch is very easy to cut and carve and I've heard from some pretty good biulders (Mike at CCT) that birtch is a good wood and will hold up when sealed properly. most of the guys here say poplar is no good so avoid the wood with lots of thick grains and a greenish tint. with hand carving, I haven't been able to make 2 that are exactlythe same, but I'm getting better, and you will too.

Enjoy!

Matt

I should be getting my blanks tomorrow I asked old friend to spin me a few he said that he was going to use Spanish pine. I Should be getting some of them tomorrow needlesfish, Danny's, Penical poppers and slammer style also. I will post pics of the blanks tomorrow. I am not going to do any thing crazy with the paint job maybe some spray paint and thats all..

thx

x

This is not a sub forum. This is the lure building firum. They build subs in CT. biggrin.gif

Welcome. Look for plug building kits. With no lathe you will need to learn hand carving.

View PostUnless your homies has different stock than ours, thats not birch. Some cheap semi-hard wood.

Jigman

Hummm, I'm not sure now??? I thought it looked and smelled like birch and I've asked others and they thought it was too, but now you have me second guessing it. As you can probably tell I don't know my woods all that wellredface.gif . I'll let you know how it holds up thoughwink.gif

Matt