Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottO

Who does Gitmo belong to?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Was wondering, is the land that gitmo is on ours??? Could a really nice resort be out there with access to great fishing? Just wondering. Scott

Some years ago, Castro wanted the US to pay for the water that he was supplying - or some such thing. Forgot exactly. Anyway, he threatened to cut off the water supply. Within a day or two, there was a photo in the newspaper showing the military commander of the base standing next to a backhoe. Hanging from the backhoe was a section of pipe which the commander purposely had cut and removed. It was his way of telling Castro to stick his water where the sun doesn't shine. I assume we either dug our own wells or began shipping our own water to GB.

View Post

We lease the land. Fidel Castro hasn't cashed one of the checks since the lease.

Actually, he cashed one when he came to power. Don't know about him cashing any more since then.

Guantanamo isn't being closed. Just the prison section or has something changed that I don't know about?

As far as the fishing, I asked my dad about it who spent some time down there in the late 60s and early 70s as part of the Navy. If I remember correctly, they did do some fishing and caught a few snappers.

On a slightly related note, he said a lot of guys liked to find high perches and jump into the ocean while at port. That stopped quickly when they saw the cook chumming up sharks with scraps of food.

View PostGuantanamo isn't being closed. Just the prison section or has something changed that I don't know about?

Gitmo isn't being closed. It's being "closed" just to keep people happy. Terrorists will still be sent there and water boarded.

View PostI assume we either dug our own wells or began shipping our own water to GB.

Which most likely cost the TAX PAYERS more money than just paying for Castro's stupid water.

YAY STUPIDITY!

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...tanamo-bay.htm

"Another crisis arose just 14 months later on Feb. 6, 1964, when Castro cut off water and supplies to the base in retaliation for several incidents in which Cuban fishermen were fined by the U.S. government for fishing in Florida waters. Since then, Guantanamo Baymag-glass_10x10.gif has been self-sufficient and the Naval Base desalination plant produces 3.4 million gallons of water and more than 800,000 kilowatt hours of electricity daily".

Dennissmile.gif

i05693.jpg

Naval Base, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba

Rear Admiral John D. Bulkeley, USN (kneeling, at left), Commander of the Naval Base, watches as a 38-inch section of 14-inch water pipe is removed after having been cut, 17 February 1964. He had ordered the pipe to be cut and sealed, eliminating the Naval Base's supply of water from Cuban sources, after Fidel Castro had accused the United States of "stealing" water.

See this link:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/p...b/j-blkly4.htm

Wow great stuff guys. I too heard today that the prison only was being closed, i would assume some type of presence will remain. Great story about the water. Scott