Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassinJ

Split Rings - A Must?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

What I am curious to know, is if theres any plugs that don't require a splitring change. A bomber for example, if I left the stock splitrings on it, and played a fish with drag set loose, the splitring still has a high chance to break? Its just that I never had a fish break a splitring on one of my bombers, but then again I've never hooked into a big 1 on a bomber, just schoolies.

Is splitring changing really that important? Thanks for any advice.

I don't know, I been doing this for a bunch of years now, and never had a split ring fail. Hooks bent, but never a failed ring. Sometimes I change 'em and sometimes I don't. Many builders today are using strong rings.

Now, I've never got 50's, but fish into the 30's and big gator blues.

If ya feel ya gotta change 'em , than do so. There's nothing like being out there with a bout of the, " I should've's". smile.gif

Is split ring changing really that important? Quote by BassinJ

I think it is just as important as changing your hooks on your lures as much as it is keeping them sharp if the hooks aren't that old.

I would say if your changin' hooks might as well change the split rings you have to take them off of your hook anyway before putting the new hook back on your lure.

CHANGE THEM...

View Post

I would say if your changin' hooks might as well change the split rings you have to take them off of your hook anyway before putting the new hook back on your lure.

CHANGE THEM...

My thoughts exactly. I know the bombers of old were set up for fresh water fishing, so we would change ALL hardware. The brand new ones (I'm talking 16A) do come with better hardware and I think (not sure) that the split rings are the H style.

I am so used to changing split rings when I change hooks that I do it as a matter of course. H split rings are cheap; many sources where they can be purchased by the 100, so if you have any doubt, CHANGE 'EM.

I bought a few bombers a couple of years ago that the split rings broke when you took the plug out of the package. They must of had a trainee putting them on because they were stretched out worse than any fish could ever do.

I change the hardware on all plugs I buy except for custom wood.

I change um all I don't mess around.

I thought for sure that Yo-Zuri's had HD rings... well Sure enough after a few decent fish the ring on my pencil popper was mangled as was my split ring on the Mag Darter after a few teen size Blues cwm31.gif

I change them on everything now... even if they look like HD's if there factory I don't trust it. Like Emgred said HD rings are cheap so mine as well change them over to HD. wink.gifbeers.gif

And usually if the plug is wood and has barrel swivel I cut the VMC and put them on direct no need for split ring. wink.gif

View PostCan I just use size 5H Wolverine splitrings on everything? Seems like a "fit-all" size, no?

As I said, H split rings are not expensive. 4H, 5H, 6H that will cover almost all your stuff.

My last trip to saltwater I had a 4" mag. rattletrap I had installed #5 split rings and #2 treble hooks on. A top feeding run of fish came in and I threw into them fishing this lure on a 8' 10" custom Kingfish rod with a VS 250 spooled with 30 lb. fireline. I hooked up and away the fish went taking drag way too fast. I tightened down some on the drag and all of a sudden the line went limp and I thought I had overdone the drag and broken off.

Nope.

Got it back in and had the ratteltrap still on minus the trebel hook and the rear split ring. I am very careful about installation so I know it was installed correctly. I think (never saw it) I had a large Jack Crevally on and it stretched out the split ring. Might have been a shark though as we were hooking a few that week on live bait.

If you get some of the cheaper plugs it's very easy to change them to good quality heavy split rings. Or just buy good plugs that have good split rings, swivels and hooks cwm40.gif .

Armand