Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tailslap

Will custom wood survive?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I know the title is a bit dramatic! Of course it will survive. There will always be people building customs. What I am talking about is custom wood available for the public to buy. This is what I,m thinking.

Seems like the retail price of some nice customs has gone up a little and the after market prices have come down a bit. I think this is a good thing. Some of todays builders are making plugs that far outpass the quality of plugs made a decade or so ago. For the work involved in making these plugs and the tough economic times we live in I think $25-$30 retail is acceptable for a quality custom plug. I would like all the money to go to the builder so he has a chance to make some money building plugs. If a retailer is going to carry someones custom wood they should only mark it up a little so the builder gets most of the money for his hard work. Other manufactured lures and products made in plants should be normal markup. If economic times keep getting worse and like us builders can,t make enough to survive how many will be able to make plugs for us. How many quality builders will be left.Sorry Tim about saying that builders should get most of the money for there product. Not trying to hurt SOL and online store.Actually SOL is much more than a place to buy plugs and builders could give SOL a break to help support it.So I am talking about actual retailers.I just feel that anyone in todays world selling handmade quality products on a small scale will need every cent to actually make enough money to make a living at it. Sorry for the rant..Just my opinion. Let me know what you guys think.

I think that's often what happens. I don't think the shops are making much at all on the more in demand custom plugs. The main thing is that they bring more people into the shop who might buy some of the other merch.

It seems to me some of the builders rarely ever have new batches of plugs for sale at the retail stores. For example you'll see them listed on a site but they will be out of stock for over 6 months or more. Then the spring rolls around and you can buy from the maker off their table and they will have tons of stuff. I think what it boils down to for some guys is that the money is not worth it when they have to sell through a retailer and sell their plugs at wholesale levels it just might not be worth the time and effort. But when a plug maker can actually get 20-25 for their plugs it becomes worth it.

So, What I am saying is I think you will start to see less plugs getting sold through a retailer and more for sale at shows or through the makers website. It's one way the makers can get the full amount for their plugs and to me this trend has started to take a hold....

John

Most builders on SOL are hobbiests and not looking to make a buck. Those that are will always be around but never in large quantities which keeps the prices up. For those looking for art thats the way it's always been. Supply and demand will rule this game as it does in any industry.

As for catching fish, which is what most of us are here for, all you need is 4 styles of plugs, lets say a darter, pencil, surfster & polaris popper. Do each in Yellow, Black, White and Silver, with no eyes. You'll catch just as many fish as the latest fad plugs if you know how and where to catch them.

Just like many other items wooden plugs are way overpriced, and many shops make more money than the builder for doing nothing but hanging the plugs on the rack.

It might cost a builder 3 to 5 bucks to make a plug no more than that plus his time working on the plug.

The builder sells it to the B & T shop for 10 or 12 bucks the shop sells it for 25 + bucks so who is ripping who off?

I will never pay any more than 15 bucks for any plug.

If I was a builder I would never sell my plugs at any B & T or anyone elses store but my own, I would have my own store/website and put all the profit in my pocket for my hard work.

Many of these guys will drop their prices to 15 bucks or less because people are going to smarten up and get sick and tired of over paying for plugs.

Not going to argue theres every bit of $25 -$30 of skill and craftsmanship in every plug. That shouldn't mean a retail establishment isn't deserving to make a reasonable profit also. Afterall, retail folks work hard and have skills too as well as overhead expenses.

It does get to a point for the average joe that it becomes cost prohibitive to even consider plunking down a $50 bill for a plug to fish with, or at least it should be an issue. For those that money is no object, you should buy it all, at any cost, try it, and then be honest with yourself whether its justified .

In most businesses you could always think the actual worker should be paid the premium, thats hardly ever the case. The poor schlep building a house doesn't get the lions share, his employer does.

If I were a retailer and a custom builder wanted to sell his wares at my shop, I'd expect a discount off his regular prices and then I'd add a 20-30% profit for my business. If the price is too high, it won't sell, otherwise its how business is done. Charity and goodwill have their time and place, being a everyday business should not be subject to being a giveaway.

I wonder how these custom builders figure out their costs ?? The components are obvious but how do they put a value on their time ??

If they had a firm understanding of their costs, maybe the lower price to a retailer would be the better path. It probably should remain a hobby, a labor of love if you will, but a well thought out and calculated business decision must be made about the distribution of their products.

No body is going to sell there plugs through a retail outlet unless they are making some money on them or else they'd still be making them for friends and selling via word of mouth.

And the plugs your refering too arn't custom they are production plugs they may be made to order or in small runs but they arn't really custom.

Each plug is a labor of love and these guys deserve to make the money if you have ever built your own you will realize how long it actually takes to do a plug right.They all so have overhead to pay wood and materials,electricity,heatand upkeep of their tools and equipment and so on .Thetime frame for me to make a typical plug is roughly 15 min to cut a body 5min to drill threw wire holes eyes and weight holes,5 min to seal5 min to prime 5 min to paint (nothing fancy)5min to epoxy 5min to assemble 5 min to tie teaser tail this is a estimate but one i feel is pretty accurate .Some time can be saved when you do large batches and use a duplicator maybe 10 min tops .look at what they make for all that time spent.not much 15 or 20 an hr.I could be wrong but i still thing you get a good deal at that price.They are by no means geting Their probbibly lucky to be able to scrape buy.imo

I don't see the need for custom wood at all

I think plastic and rubber, bucktail and tins can suffice in 99% of situation we fish in

Custom wood should be maybe (imho) 10% of the market. Instead ,it dominates the market to some extent

Anybody who thinks plugs are a money maker should go read the thread about Twisted Lures in the tackle collector forum. Take a look at what those guys went through to sell a plug for 50(which is about as high as it gets retail) and still those guys made little to nothing and worked for way under min wage.....From what I take from those guy's posts the thing they got the most out of building and selling those plugs was pride in their craftsmanship....

If garage type builders made plugs only for money there would be no wood on the market....

John

This is not fishing season for most of you on this site (I'm in FL for the winter). When you have to have something you are willing to pay more for it. In the off season, not so much. If bidding, you might be thinking another will be listed before you really need it. And there might be some holiday bills still kicking around keeping the expendable cash down to a trickle.

Peace

Custom wood will always be around and be bought up by the few who are obsessed with it. For most though, it is just something we look at. I could not be bothered running to a show and waiting in line for hours for a chance to buy one or two. I believe more and more makers are going to start selling exclusively through their own online stores and cut out the middle man. The internet makes it very easy to do so and allows them to charge less for a larger profit margin. Custom would is also a tuff term to define as everyone has their own definition of what it could be, a true custom to me is a plug made without a duplicator, each one should not be exactly the same and have its own characteristic.

i don't see the plug makers selling on-line. most of their time is spent making the plugs and they don't have the time or want the bother of packing one or two plugs, making sure the orders are shipped, etc. easier to sell a large number of plugs to a retailer or at a show. not a lot of profit when you consider the time needed to make a plug even with a duplicator, most guys do it as a hobby and for the recognition they get.

View PostI don't see the need for custom wood at all

I think plastic and rubber, bucktail and tins can suffice in 99% of situation we fish in

Custom wood should be maybe (imho) 10% of the market. Instead ,it dominates the market to some extent

I think so too. In fact I have about $500 (at retail between $13-$25ea) worth of wood that sits in my shop collecting dust. I fish my homemade bucktails ($.52 ea material cost) most of the time. Not to mention the FREE dreaded bunker chunk cwm31.gif and that usually catches the biggest bass for me biggrin.gif