Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M. saxatilis

Ray's Fly

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

A classic effective fly that receives much attention yet one I overlook because of it's simplicity. Fancy, elaborate flies are fun to tie, great to look at and catch fish, but let us not forget where many of these Mamba Jamba's got their start.

3 tied with pearl braid, 3 with silver.

A few other threads found on SOL on Ray's Fly for your reference:

Ray's Fly Discussion I

Ray's Fly Discussion II

Ray's Fly Discussion III

Ray's Fly Discussion IV

Thanks for the inspiration Ray.

Very nice Rays Flys! I hope mine come out this good. I plan on fishing these alot on 2 fly rigs this year like Ken Abrames describes in his book, we'll see how it goes.

Do you find there is much difference between Pearl and Silver body braid? Do you use them under different conditions, or just on a whim?

View PostTying them on a bendback is supposed to help with fouling. I don't have enough experience using them to really be certain, but I'll be carrying a few of each with me just in case.

i tie them on a bendback, fish it right through eelgrass patches, deadly tactic and rarely will snag up. nice ties.

-al

It is a great fly in Rhody. I use it all season. In the fall when I am using a bunker pattern I will use a Rays for a dropper. Never have tried Bend back will this season...I have found that if I do a couple of turns of thread underneath the bucktail it raises it up a bit and decreases fouling. However, it is a fly that you have to check for fouling regularly when using especially if you are using high line speed with casting.

View PostIt is a great fly in Rhody. I use it all season. In the fall when I am using a bunker pattern I will use a Rays for a dropper. Never have tried Bend back will this season...I have found that if I do a couple of turns of thread underneath the bucktail it raises it up a bit and decreases fouling. However, it is a fly that you have to check for fouling regularly when using especially if you are using high line speed with casting.

i tye mine the same way a few wraps underneath to help the bucktail stand-off still fouls on me, yet my buddy uses them all the time and has different results, maybe it's my casting style who knows but us fishing side by side him with a rays dropper me with a 1.5" mushy (pearl and yellow) dropper the fish don't seem to have a preference, and the less i have to stop and check my fly the better, however this evening i tied 3 rays flies because of this thread kooky.gif

I Too Have A Very Difficult Time With Keep The Ray's Fly From

Fouling. I Can't Imagine How Anyone Can Control This Problem With The Exceeption Of Tying It Like A Bonefish Fly To Control Wrap. I Have Tied Them This Way And They Work Just At Well , Watch Out , Don't Use Alot Of Belly Wrap Otherwise They Roll Up.

I tye mine on a short shank hook - SC15, SC45 etc. to minimise fouling.

you can also try a loop of mono or a single hackle tied flatwing styleewink.gif