Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishunjunky

lamiglas isu

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Last winter I built my first surf rod (my first rod ever actually) using a Lami ISU1082M blank. It's a 9' rod. I built it with cork tape grips and no reel seat. I fished it all last season using a Penn 710Z reel, a very light weight combo that I can cast all day. It's really nice for bombers and mag darters, light bucktails, small pencils and tins. The most I felt comfortable throwing was about 2 oz but it worked much better from 3/4 oz up to about 1 1/2 oz. I caught plenty of short bass on it and lots of blues, some of them upwards of 10lbs and never felt undergunned. I've been very pleased with it.

Joe

I don't think the blanks are too bad, comparable to other "budget" rods. Lami uses no-name components on the factory Surf Kings which use that blank. I know some guys around here have broken a few of them but guess what- guys around here have broken a few of about every rod made.

If you wrapped them up with decent guides and a decent reel seat I suspect you'd have a pretty servicable rod for a reasonable price. I use one of the surf kings for chunking and its held up fine. The reel seat and guides are a little cheap, though. The Tica Dolphins and Tsunami Airwaves are a better value in a factory rod for that reason.