Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

The Winter Process

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

My fishing ended over a month ago now, and I am finally getting into my winter tying. I got me wondering, what's your off season process?

I know what I should do. I should pull out all my boxes, take inventory, make a tying list and tie the flies I need to fill in. That would be the smart way to do it redface.gif . But instead I just tie. I tend not to even open my fly boxes until an hour before that first trip of spring. And all the flies I tied over the winter get lumped into one box. If at some point during the early season I have some down time I might actually sort out my flies and get them organized.....sometimes that doesn't happen at all redface.gif.

I sometimes make false promises to myself, resolutions of sorts; THIS will be the year that I have an organized tackle bag. I get inspired by pictures of others' fly boxes with neatly arranged flies organized by pattern, size and color. I think THAT could be me cwm40.gif !!

But it never seems to work out that way.

How do you do it in the off season????

Alan

i tie what i typically use during the season, clousers, creases, gurglers, flatwings ect... and then realize i have 100 of clousers, decievers, creases, gurglers & flatwings left over from last year... however there is something about going to the water with a box of new flies as opposed to last years that gives a unique confidence and satisfaction. besides every year you become a better tyer

My winter process...

I organize and store my NE flies in winter according to the species they mimic. Each in their own storage...thing. A quick review of the contents tells me where I am lacking and what needs to be added.

They are usually augmented by old "go-to's" and "new and exciting" patterns. When I think I have to many of a particular pattern, I end up giving older ones to friends. What number is too many? Beats me.

And so it goes that I am continually tying to better myself and my learn new tricks. When I no longer get excited about tying old patterns I look towards other tying arenas for inspiration. Currently that arena is found in Salmon & Steelhead fly patterns. Learning new patterns teaches new tying methods and allows me to improve upon the old, incorporating newly learned skills to tweek a fly in a manner that makes it seem fresh and new. For me, when it is no longer fun, that's when I stop.

I don't think I could handle doing all my tying in the winter months. I like the ritual of preparing for the following day the night before, or during snook season preparing that afternoon for a night on the water.

View PostI don't think I could handle doing all my tying in the winter months. I like the ritual of preparing for the following day the night before, or during snook season preparing that afternoon for a night on the water.

But do you really have an "off" season like we do up here?

Since this is really my first off-season this may be different from others, but I'm actually re-tying most of my flies. This is partly due to the success of some, and issues I had with others - mainly those issues involved casting, tracking, floating, etc and not actual catching ability. In both cases I have room for improvement, and I've gotten better at tying since this time last year.

I'm also not tying up alot of repetitive flies. I might do 4-5 of a single type, but they vary in size and I'm moving on. I'm also sticking with a fairly small selection of colors.

Some I may only do 2 of in order to try them out first and evaluate how well I did. Replacing 1 or 2 flies is less frustrating to me than tying up 5 that I never use, and all of this should make it easier to select a healthy variety of flies when I'm filling up my flybox.

i usually tie about 6-12 flys at a sitting usually start with some clousers or decivers untill i get board and then a few flat wing/ poppers something a little more "fun" that i dont tend to fish as much

View PostBut do you really have an "off" season like we do up here?

We had four category three hurricaines make landfall in my county within 2 weeks of each other a couple years back, I think that's about as close as we've ever come to an "off season". I wasn't making fun of your weather, I just can't imagine tying flies that won't see water for 2-3 months. Maybe I just need a few more years under my belt, but I have my hands full keeping up with conditions on our waters from day to day.

i tye when i am inspired; no matter when; usu when i am preparing to fish , i am excited about that so i wont tye then; sometimes when fishing, i see the the fly could be improved so i generally tye an improved version upon returning while the spirit still moves me and the idea is fresh. i really dont have a tying season. 40.gif

A little of both I guess...I know what I need to tie to replace all the stuff I lost last season, but I also impulsively buy needless tying materials and just mess around here and there tying stuff I'll probably never use. Then I panic in April and realize I need to tie all the stuff I'm missing, so I spend my late winter tying wooly buggers, clousers, poppers, and the like.

i'm doing what I did last year - not tying until late March and early April.

For now i'm reading, thinking about how i fished last year and where, where I want to fish this year then making lists of flies, materials and tackle i want.

I'm also looking at msn and google map, googling parking lots, searching various forums posts etc, emailing or PMing forum members and looking at tide charts.

then when I start tying in March i'll have a list of flies, lines, spots, times and tides that I want to fish.

I'll tye the last few flies in late April which will be epoxy ones (candies, pamets etc ) then i'll be ready to go with 4 boxes - day, surf, flats, night.

90% of my fish will be caught on one of five patterns and i'll refill those as I go during the season, and i'll refine existing patterns and steal new ones cwm27.gif

cheers

GB