Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krispy

Scouting CT

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Who else spends time during winter scouting new spots?

Finding new areas to fish has paid big dividends for my crew and I in the past few yrs, and I spent yesterday driving down many many streets tracking down satellite images. Found one new spot, but its a looker.

Who else?

View PostWho else spends time during winter scouting new spots?

Finding new areas to fish has paid big dividends for my crew and I in the past few yrs, and I spent yesterday driving down many many streets tracking down satellite images. Found one new spot, but its a looker.

Who else?

I do, with my GF, latre in winter typically. The DEP or LIRSC website stickid at the top of this forum is a great resource for finding good access locations.

View PostNo need here, I have people that do it all for me... wink.gif

me too....biggrin.gif .....it's called delegation.

Seriously, I usually scout one or two spots each winter. This year its the scusset to duxbury stretch in Mass.

.. Right here in the middle of the winter I am scouting shore fishing access in NY/CT, and the last 3 days found one new spot for marsh/flats fly fishing in CT, on LISound, another one in NYC 5 boroughs proper, and today one spot in Westchester (freshwater bass). The worst part about it is having to read shore and structure, when it's ICED OVER!!

While everyone praises my enthusiasm all agree I seriously need to fast get a life.

My M. O. seems to be: check reports/chatter/folklore/heresay/magazine/web articles, google mapping and google earthing, scouting trips and corroboration calls to municipalities for parking/fees information. cwm15.gifcwm15.gifcwm15.gifcwm15.gif (wow what did we ever do before satellite images?)

At least for shore access, around any residential areas, the major obstacle seems to be parking. Either the complete lack of parking or exhorbitant fees. Certainly there are majestic spots easily to be found -- only the usual case is some wise guy built a mansion there ninety years ago effectively barring access for eternity cwm13.gif to all humans not in his/her direct gene pool.

At least on the middle to Western LISound itself, I'm starting to see that having a kayak is going to be a big win for access. Finding legitimate and legal kayak launching spots is WAY easier than finding accessible (never mind productive) shore fishing spots.

And in the past month I've found several (certainly not secret -- but new to me) spots in CT for shore fishing/salt fly fishing/flats that I did not know about, State Parks, however it remains to be seen how crowded these get during the season, it might be shoulder to shoulder Google Earthers, Fishing Moms, or jet ski proving grounds..

On another note I've also scouted and found access to places earlier this fall using satellite photos, places which although seemingly perfect in every conceivable way at first, turned out to be mediocre actual fishing spots (at least for stripers), these being in the Rye/Mamaroneck area.

In spite of it all I've really gotten to know my area very well over the past few months thru scouting, and I don't regret that part one bit.

Regards to all.....