Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Magpie

Pencil question

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am building some pencil poppers. My question is, what is the difference in action between pencil poppers with that flat spot on the bottom of the plug vs. pencil poppers without?

I suspect it could be related to action of the plug when one wobbles the rod..but I am not sure.

Thanks

Magpie

View Postflat bottom(canal special) pencils are easier to get up and working, especially in a hard current.

Canal Special pencils, yupyup. Built for the Ditch icon14.gif

I use both style pencils alot, I fish the canal special mostly in the canal. IMO the flat bottom pencil helps the plug plain up on top of the water keeping a most of the plug up out of the water letting the current slide underneath without the plug being swept along rapidly. This helps let you fish the plug longer and if you get a rise on the plug you can keep the plug near the fish for a little longer period of time than a round bottom pencil would.

The flat bottom also helps get the plug to the surface quicker with a couple of turns of the handle after the plug hit's the water, this is also advantagious when casting at breaking fish in a swif current. I notice a couple of my canal specials wil hit the water and skip across the surface once or twice.

This being said...there are no fish in the canal.