Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iphish

Official super bowl pool- VOTE

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

even though arizona has been playing great lately i just dont think that there offense will be able to move the ball against the steeler defense. but hey you never know nobody thought that they were going to beat carolina or philadelphia so we'll see

Just remember that the Steelers haven't faced any recievers like Fitz and Boldin. San Diego has Chambers and Jackson, Baltimore has Mason and Clayton. Not exactly apples to apples. Throw in Breaston and Pitt hasn't faced a trio like this since palmer was healthy in Cincy throwing to TJ and Chad Johnson. That was 3 years ago. Pittsburgh can't just throw the sink at the Cards every down. They'll get killed on crossing routes if they do. I still think Pitt wins, but with a healthy dose of Willie Parker to try and keep the cards O off the field.

Nobody on earth can cover Larry Fitzgerald, they will have to double him and then Hightower and the Edge will be running around like crazy in the Steelers secondary. If Pittsburgh brings the blitz they will be burned by the screen, Warner is no spring chicken.

only by hitting him late like philly did...Pittsburgh may be a little to aggressive and that screen will be dropped over there heads. They pursue the ball similair to philly and the trick play will burn them also.

I suspect the Steelers will give the Cards the short screen passes then clean the recievers clock. I am not sure the Cards seen any hard hitting defensive football.

Go Steelers!!!

View PostI suspect the Steelers will give the Cards the short screen passes then clean the recievers clock. I am not sure the Cards seen any hard hitting defensive football.

Go Steelers!!!

For a game plan all the Steelers need to do is watch SB36.

Since the rules changed to open up offenses in '78, 5 number one rated defenses have made it to the super bowl:

'78 Steelers (won)

'85 Bears (won)

'00 Ravens (won)

'02 Bucs (won)

and

'09 Steelers

throw in the Patriots (defensive) win over the Rams and last years Giants win over the high flying Patriots offense to further the lean towards defense > offense winning the game.

Also, the Steelers, Ravens and Eagles were ranked 1-2-3 in defense this year. All made it to their respective divisional championship games.

History sure points to a Steelers win, question is by how much. I'll guess 10+.

View PostSince the rules changed to open up offenses in '78, 5 number one rated defenses have made it to the super bowl:

'78 Steelers (won)

'85 Bears (won)

'00 Ravens (won)

'02 Bucs (won)

and

'09 Steelers

throw in the Patriots (defensive) win over the Rams and last years Giants win over the high flying Patriots offense to further the lean towards defense > offense winning the game.

Also, the Steelers, Ravens and Eagles were ranked 1-2-3 in defense this year. All made it to their respective divisional championship games.

History sure points to a Steelers win, question is by how much. I'll guess 10+.

Very good points. I think a lot of coaches, coach to "not lose" the Super Bowl. heavy does of running to control the clock, very few shots downfield to avoid turnovers, etc, etc. Arizona is "palying with house money" in my opinion. Nobody thought they'd make it this far. they should just open up the playbook and go for broke. Let Warner air it out deep on first downs. Mix enough running in to keep the Steelers from loading up on the pass, but take some shots. Even if the Cards lose, they've had a miricle season. I say, forget about conventional wisdom from the past and just go for it!

View Postonly by hitting him late like philly did...Pittsburgh may be a little to aggressive and that screen will be dropped over there heads. They pursue the ball similair to philly and the trick play will burn them also.

I think Pittsburgh will gladly give up those short screens with the big deep threat that the Cards bring. They are one the most disciplined defenses that I have seen in years. The Steelers D stick to their assignments and have busted up 95% of the screens they have faced this year. If the Steelers can run the ball, as previously mentioned they will win this game.

Looks like Pittsburg is slated to win by 60% of the crowd versus 40.

Of course the geographical location of the SOL members here favor the east coast team- less number of Arizona SOL members.

also the fact the pittsburg is an older NFL team, capable of attracting more fans weighs in on their than numbers.

Analyzing this data- looks as though it will be tighter game than would lead you to believe.

Therefore I would take AZ with points.