Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

De-Boning a Rabbit

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

~3 Pound rabbit ($22), washed and dried

Flip onto it's stomach, and make your first two cuts doen the backbone and then down along the back rib cage

Flip it over, and then cut down along the front part of the rib cage

The two halves removed from the main carcass

Take eacjh half, and detach the front and rear legs from the "saddle" or loin. which give you two loin parts, two front legs, and two back legs

To de-bone the rear legs, start from the foot and run your knife down the leg bone and the thigh bone on all sides

Break the hip joint, and remove the leg and thigh bone, then remove the pelvic bone. leaving a bonelss leg/thigh piece

More to come.....

Another picture of the boneless rear thigh/leg, and the bone

The front legs are more difficult and don't make as pretty of a presentation, but it's all good when cooked....wink.gif

Bottom part of the leg

Again, start at foot and run the knofe on both side of the leg bone and the thigh bone. Then pop those out. Then run the knife around the shoulder blade, and you get this

When all done the result is these six boneless peices, two saddles, two rear legs/thighs, and two front legs/thighs

This is going into Farmer's style rabbit......recently did a photo essay on Farmer's style Chicken, and it isn't much different than that (other than using a LOT more green peppercorns), so I will forego anymore pictures, cause it will all look pretty much the same.....but it will be OUTSTANDING....drool.gifsmile.gif

If you want some rabbit, just let me know and maybe we can arrange for an exchange seeing as we have 2 or 3 rabbits in the freezer. Free range might i add, right from the backyard biggrin.gif

View PostYou forgot a step. I'm still here:

cwm27.gif

Many years ago, I went into the North End of Boston and got a rabbit at a butcher shop there. This one still had the head attached (you need the head to make real Hausenpheffer, even though I wasn't making that or using the head).

I got it home, unwrapped it, and got it on my cutting board to cut it up. Just then, my cat walked in the room (not a cat person, but had one at the time that was pawned off on me.) I looked at the cat, looked at the rabbit, looked at the cat, looked at the rabbit.....cwm13.gifeek.gif..........

Had to whisk the cat out of the room and close the door until I was done butchering......wink.gif

That is the primary reason they sell them with the head (or feet) still attached. Can you imagine the uproar if this series of pics was posted on the PETA web sites with a litte different description?

Steve

View PostThat is the primary reason they sell them with the head (or feet) still attached. Can you imagine the uproar if this series of pics was posted on the PETA web sites with a litte different description?

Hey, at least he didn't test cosmetics on it first!

I love rabbit, but have never cooked it. Should try some time. I work in Newark and the Portuguese groceries always have it. What's the best way to cook rabbit at home?

View Post

I love rabbit, but have never cooked it. Should try some time. I work in Newark and the Portuguese groceries always have it. What's the best way to cook rabbit at home?

Traditionally, rabbit was always either fried or else braised in a "stew".....

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...0&postcount=16

However, more and more people are grilling it, roasting it, or baking it. The problem with that is that rabbit is VERY lean, so you need added fat for a roast.

I'll see what I can dig up.

Snowshoes are considerably more substantial than cottontail bunnies. Haven't had one in years but they were a staple for a time after an unsuccessful day deer hunting