Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeremi

Redington Predator 7'11" Bass Rod?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Anyone cast one of these yet. I havent found anyone that has. Look awsome for big flies like the Sage 7'11" rods. I am sure it is a nice rod and would love to get one but am mostly wondering what weight line to use on the 8wt version. An 8wt or 9wt or 10wt line?

I know that Sage owns Redington but I wonder if you should line the Predators the same as the Sage Bass rods. Such as 11wt."330gr." line on the 8wt rod. And 10wt "290gr." on the 6wt model. Or do they preform best with the 8wt. and 6wt. lines respectivly? Make any sense?kooky.gif

The sage rod comes with the line, which was developed specificallyto work as a unit with the sage model applicable, LMB or SMB. Although the grain weights would suggest comparison or equality with traditional fly combos, I understand the matches based on line weight grains will not be the same or even similar.

I don't know about the Reddington. If it does not come with a line, then the traditional line weights maybe appropirate for that set up.

Short rods - good for casting in tunnels and rug beating. Boy I haven't used that line for 20 years. Why a rod only 7ft. 11 in.? Because black bass fishing tournaments limit rod length to less than 8 ft. As far as I can tell, the tackle manufacturers are trying to create a market for fly rod black bass fishing tourneys. I know they had one last summer on California's Sacramento/San Joaquin Delta.

There are those that argue you don't need a rod to cast a fly line, and they can prove it to a limited extent. But think how sore your shoulder would be at the end of the day.

Me, I'll stick with my fly rods that are at least nine feet long. It is a heck of a lot easier to fish with them. But if the tunnel bite ever turns on, maybe I'll pick up one of those "stubbies" for kicks.

TRO

Shorter rod can make it easier to cast large flyes for some. If you choose 8' rod you can have at least one wt heavier line which ability to deliver wind resistant fly is better. I can not achieve high line speed with fast casting stroke alone because my shoulder gets sore but because of my body weight I am strong.

My haul is strong and guite fast as well and shorter rod moment seems to transfer haul energy to the line better. Perhaps it is because I can not load rod enough with casting stroke the haul is not efficient when it mostly add bend to the rod (and to my wrist frown.gif ).

Because black bass fishing tournaments limit rod length to less than 8 ft. As far as I can tell, the tackle manufacturers are trying to create a market for fly rod black bass fishing tourneys.

When Sage first marketed their Bass fishing rods they did use the rod size/tournament angle. The rod was also marketed to be used to cast large flies into tight cover accurately. I fish tidal rivers in Maryland and that's exactly the type of cover I am fishing in. Sage is right, the rod will deliver a large hair bug into a tight hole between lily pads or right against a hydrilla grass edge. Added benefit, it's shorter size is great when fishing from a kayak. With Hobie kayaks livewell I'd be just about set for tournaments. I took up fly fishing in part to get away from the tournament business though. wink.gif

Does anyone actually know of a definitive answer from BASS or FLW torunament officials that would allow fly-fishing in their tournaments in the future with rods that meet the tournament rod length requirement? The tournament rod length requirement was introduced to limit the length of "flippin" sticks and had nothing to do with fly-fishing rods being long. I believe that fly fishing in the major circuits will always be disallowed as is trolling.

G Loomis have added a bass rod too, and Sage now do a Bluegill rod. Rio have also become the first line maker to make a Carp flyline...

I read in a mag this morning that the Sage fishes best overweighted (according to chico fernandez).

The predators are 6-9wts

My one thought on these 7'11" rods is that they are obviously designed for boat fishing, and if you mostly fish from a belly boat they would be a lot more difficult to cast.

GB

View PostDoes anyone actually know of a definitive answer from BASS or FLW torunament officials that would allow fly-fishing in their tournaments in the future with rods that meet the tournament rod length requirement? The tournament rod length requirement was introduced to limit the length of "flippin" sticks and had nothing to do with fly-fishing rods being long. I believe that fly fishing in the major circuits will always be disallowed as is trolling.

You can fish bass tourneys with fly fishing equipment. You'd be at a significant disadvantage though. A practiced bass fisherman, using standard bait casting tackle can land large lures within a few inch target area, and hardly make a ripple in the water.

I occassionally fish bass tourneys, and I regularly practice pitchin' in the side yard with my flippin' stick. I'm pretty good, but no match for the talented, practiced fishermen that I compete against. The top anglers can work every promissing location as they work down the bank. A fly angler couldn't come close to that.

But as I mentioned previously (above), fly fishing black bass tourneys are starting to pick up in California. I would expect more in the future. Trolling is against the rules. But who would troll with a fly rod?

TRO

View PostYou can fish bass tourneys with fly fishing equipment. You'd be at a significant disadvantage though. A practiced bass fisherman, using standard bait casting tackle can land large lures within a few inch target area, and hardly make a ripple in the water.

I occassionally fish bass tourneys, and I regularly practice pitchin' in the side yard with my flippin' stick. I'm pretty good, but no match for the talented, practiced fishermen that I compete against. The top anglers can work every promissing location as they work down the bank. A fly angler couldn't come close to that.

But as I mentioned previously (above), fly fishing black bass tourneys are starting to pick up in California. I would expect more in the future. Trolling is against the rules. But who would troll with a fly rod?

TRO

You are saying that if I went to a major BASS or FLW sanctioned tournament in California ( not a flyfishing only tournament) I could fish it with a fly rod. I know the issues with folks with other tackle being more effective, but I think I would be disallowed no matter how short my rod was.

I'd like to hear from any SOL brother who has participated in a bass tourney with a flyrod. (Or been denied permission to participate; a lot of officials may just not want flyrods in a tournament, period.) If we have any Official Persons from BASS or FLW here, (?) feel free to comment.

I wonder if the best use of a flyrod in such a tournament might not be as a specialty tool. If you have a hot/bright/clear situation, might not the ability to present a weightless marabou tie, or some superdelicate hair minnow on a #4 hook, be worthwhile? Overline a little and you could pick it up and put it down quite quickly. (I think.) At flipping-rod distances, it ought to be possible to be accurate with a dragonfly, beetle or grasshopper pattern on a flyrod. Something that would barely break the surface film, rubber legs wigglin', and then lift it up and put it down again. Since you can lift a fly without retrieving a line, it might also be possible to bring it back without pulling it through a really tangled weedmat, too. Largemouths aren't normally considered line shy. If you've tied a 20 lb fluorocarbon tippet, most bass could be skidded across a weedmat with a strip strike and an elevated rod.

76 Terra, have you seen tournament situations where a very delicate presentation on top would be an asset?

I called BASS today. There is no specific regulation denying flyfishing in their sanctioned tournaments as long as the rod length requirement has been met. There have been no instances to date of any angler using a fly rod in a Pro tournament. They suspect if substantial money was won there might be a controversy to be dealt with at that time.

As a former local tournament angler, I know that there situations and spots where I catch fish on flies that I would not be able to catch on lures with standard tackle. The fish are smaller, however. Given that the higher places in tournaments usually are a result of a limit of fish anyway, I believe that in a Pro tournament the fly angler would be doomed with a limit of smaller fish.

I believe that I saw a sanctioned FLW Redfish tournament on television where one of the leading teams were using flyrods. Redfish like flies biggrin.gif