Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hawker

Inaugural Racism: Rev. Lowery's benediction prayer.

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

The inaugural benediction prayer by Rev. Joseph Lowery, former civil rights activist.

"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. Let all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen. Say Amen".

I sometimes give old people a pass and realize he was on the front lines of the civil rights movement and saw horrible things but when I heard that, racism was my first thought. It would be interesting to hear him explains what he meant.

I kind of thought it was a funny line, the man is in his 80's. I also thought is was pretty funny when the commentator stated since when has a preacher made a two minute sermon. I was not offended by his benediction.

View PostI kind of thought it was a funny line, the man is in his 80's. I also thought is was pretty funny when the commentator stated since when has a preacher made a two minute sermon. I was not offended by his benediction.

I am offended by you not being offended. Libs voted this man in based souley on his color. Racism indeed cuts both ways.

Brian

View PostThe inaugural benediction prayer by Rev. Joseph Lowery, former civil rights activist.

"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. Let all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen. Say Amen".

That had to have been taken from some previous sermon and/or speech...back when the black man had to ride in the back of the bus...Maybe he still sees his race that way, even with Obama as POTUS...(he is pretty old and tottering...)

Have to admit, tho, that I really enjoyed Arethia in her singing.....good spirit there...one we have in common.

Poor old guy must have seen Sheets Byrd in the crowd and thought the dems were coming to to filibuster the civil rights act again.

View PostI thought Nipsey Russell wrote that benediction.

nipsey2.jpg

I did sound like that, did'nt it? Good memory, and a better observation! biggrin.gificon14.gif

You know, Barney Frank might have an easier time of it if he sounded more like Paul Lynde than your run-of-the-mill poof! wink.gif