First pair of waders: any suggestions?

Rate this topic

mrsaltyO

Hi all,

I am in the market for my first pair of waders. I will be using them in both fresh and salt water.

I have been looking at a pair of Cabela's brand neoprene waders as they are not overly expensive. Also, the temperature of both fresh and salt water will range from cold to warm (spring to fall in other words).

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

I know many will disagree but I have had great luck with Orvis Waders. I had a pair of Silver Label waders that I sent for repair, i guess they coulnt fix them so they replaced them, no questions asked. I am pretty sure they have a couple of models on sale now

I know Simms has a good warranty also.

View PostI know many will disagree but I have had great luck with Orvis Waders. I had a pair of Silver Label waders that I sent for repair, i guess they coulnt fix them so they replaced them, no questions asked. I am pretty sure they have a couple of models on sale now

Simms warrenty may well be good but my G3's leaked out of the box. I sent them back to the USA for repair and yes they leaked right out of the box again. Good waders is what we want backed up by good warrenty.

Im live in eternal hope.

Mike

The best pair I've owned thus far without a leak are the Hodmans Breathable stocking foot. No leaks over two seasons and thats fishing at least 3-4 days a week in the salt. I enjoy waderboots because of the ankle support feel. Bootfoot tend to press hard on the ankles if you spend alot of time in the water. If the water temp is on the cold side I use their 3.5 full neoprene which is warm enough for me.

Nuff Said. Let's go Fishin' MSA 1764

If you wear a size 9.5 or a 10 in a sneaker. And you are slim - I have a pair of Breathable Orvis Silver Label used 10 days in Cape Cod. Felt boot foot. No leaks. Bot a pair of Simms with lug sole boot fooy because I wanted to walk a jetty -still can't walk the jetty. Will sell Orvis' reasonable. They are just sitting on the shelf. Contact me for info and picture.

BTW - whatever you buy, you should get breathable. For the cold get fleece pants. You will roast in neoprene.

Herb

View PostHerb,

Agree about Lug sole boots on jetties and rocks without korkers on you are plain dicing with death or at least a few fractures.

Mike

My first trip to M I had felt soles and couldn't get Korkers in my size.

I got some great looks!cwm27.gif

I have been wearing bootfoots for a long time, but I hear the Stocking foots with an incorporated gravel cuff don't fill the boot with sand any more, so I will be trying the stocking foots again. The support the boot gives and the ease of walking are incomparable.

Proud to be a NERB and I have the shirts to prove it!!

Right now I'm using the LL Bean waders and they are very good. Buy the breathable and then layer your garments underneath. I fish my neopreme waders in the extreme cold but 90% of the time it's my breathable. My two friends that have Simms (one is guide) both feel the services is not good. LL Bean and Orvis....they are the best!

View PostI know many will disagree but I have had great luck with Orvis Waders. I had a pair of Silver Label waders that I sent for repair, i guess they coulnt fix them so they replaced them, no questions asked. I am pretty sure they have a couple of models on sale now

I have 2 pair Clearwater Stockingfoot (freshwater), Silver label bootfoot (softwater), my wife also has silver label (bootfoot). I like em

"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you can sell him rods, reels, and tackle for a lifetime." Author unknown
AMSA #852