Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
planter

Stradic 6000 vs. 8000. Whats the difference?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have and 8000 and have a 6000 coming but my "guys" tell me the only difference is the size of the spool. Is that possible? If so why would you ever take a reel with less line capacity?

On the same not the difference is size betweent to 5000 and the 6000 is dramatic. Do the numbers mean anything at all? That really refers to just about all reel manufacturers .

View PostIf so why would you ever take a reel with less line capacity?

Can't answer your question regarding the stradics, but I can answer the one above...

I have a penn slammer 460, which weighs about the same as the 560 which holds much more line... I have absolutely no need for anymore line than the 460 holds and braid costs a lot of coin! So, i choose a smaller reel that weighs the same as one that holds more line!

Same reel body, different spool depth. Yes, the 8000 holds more and weighs a little less. I opted for a 6000FI, as I don't fish for tuna and use braid, which is expensive, even with some mono backing. I have no worry about running out of line; I know how to fight and land big fish without exhausting them. I'm sure there's another argument about having a solid base under the line instead of a bunch of unused excess capacity, but I can't cite specifics. I love the reel!

I have a 6000 and I picked up a 8000 spool on ebay for $5.00. The spool fit perfectly. I am pretty sure the bodies are the same. With the 6000 I lost some line due to wind knots and then I was casting a tin. I could start to see the signs of the backing. That's why I switched to the 8000 just to have a little more capacity of 50 lb braid

View PostScreenHunter_01Jan.2015.43.gif

anyone notice the line ratings on the 4000, 5000, and 6000... According to this (and shimanos website too I think) a 5000 holds more 12# line than a 6000. A 6000 has the same capacity of 12# as a 4000? How is that possible? Me thinks they made a typo! beatin.gif perhaps it should be 12/265 (not 12/165) for the 6000?

DAVESCARP - you are correct - should be 12/265, 16/170, 20/120

Just looked at the Sustain spec and those spools have the same line capactiy as the Stradics.

Went to local shop and checked out the Stradics at lunch. Swapped out the 6000 & 8000 spools - perfect fit. Shop owner said the entire reel is the same except for the spool's line depth (we verified this together). The 6000 spool is shallower and thus has more metal, hence more weight. Since the weight difference is minimal, your decision should be around how much line/braid you want to put on. I asked if he recommends mono backing. He said that they use a double wrap of black electrical tape over the initial knot to keep the line from slipping, which eliminates the mono to braid knot (potential failure point - but he does not know about Crazy Alberto's knotwink.gif ). Using the black tape for backing and all braid should allow for more line, thus making the 6000 adequate for most applications. Shop owner said 50lb braid is approximately the same diameter as 12lb mono - if so you should be able to put ~265 yds on there. If the fish takes that much line off its probably not a striper. The 8000 should get you another 80 yds of line or $8-$10 in cost.

If I had to make the call I would go with the 6000 if I were using black tape for backing and 8000 if I were using mono for backing.

As for the 4000 and 5000, the reels are different sizes. We were able to swap the spools - but not a perfect fit. The outside diameter of the 5000 spool is bigger and the 4000 rotor is smaller, thus making the spacing between the spool(5000) and rotor(4000) really tight.

Hope this helps.

no question - get the 8000. IF you ever hook a a TRUE MONSTER you will want that extra line. the 8000 is light enough to surfcast all day, and yes, it can land you a small tuna. but the 6000? it weighs more, holds less.... that should answer the question right there. you can't add more line to the 6000 if you need it......................

View Postno question - get the 8000. IF you ever hook a a TRUE MONSTER you will want that extra line. the 8000 is light enough to surfcast all day, and yes, it can land you a small tuna. but the 6000? it weighs more, holds less.... that should answer the question right there. you can't add more line to the 6000 if you need it......................

That is what i did. Can't rationalize a 6000 . As you said it keeps your options open and doesn"t weigh more. So why put yourself in a compromising position with the 6000. smile.gif