Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MadBomber

Running Light?

20 posts in this topic

I have a river rock lantern. On a PVC pole. In a rod holder of my crate. Works well. Get a good 360* light. That you can see not one of those C-lites. They are not very bright. I'll see if I can find a pic.

I taped this to a PVC mast with a bicycle flag. It fits into the hole behind my seat. The whole set up was about $15. The 360 degree lamp can be seen from quite a distance. Uses 2 AA batteries and is waterproof. Works great, just make sure that it is set above your head so that it can be seen from all directions.

396200149.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=196783&d=123

a "c-light" is very very poor over any amount of distance over a few hundred feet. their whole premise is the lens that it has, similar to what I guess would be a fresnel lens, like a lighthouse. by that I mean somehting like a riverrock or any type normal lantern/light emits light out, almost equally, in all directions(unless it has a lid or bottom.) now a lens like that on the C-light concentrates that light into a very narrow, but bright horizontal beam, in 360degress. Just like a lighthouse, if the beam were to shine out in a 360degree circle, but only in a narrow band.

NOW if you're inline or close to being inline with that beam, super, bright light. But if you're below it(or in the case of most boats) above it, all you see is a small dimly glowing bulb. if you're sitting still and the boat isn't rocking or you aren't waving the light, that bright beam is staying stationary and not drawing attention like it should. those C lights are designed to be worn on a PFD if you ditch, not to keep boats from smaking you in the middle of the night.

*end of rant*

I wouldn't worry about making a fold down light. Unless the light is truly waterproof it's going to get wet sitting on your hull. Short of a Van Staal it seems everything will eventually corrode with enough salt exposure. Secondly, it becomes yet another thing to snag or take up space on your deck. Thirdly, why drill a hole in your boat if you don't have to?

I use a PVC pole, ducktape a Sylvania minilantern,and slide the pole into a rod holder in my crate. If I am using all my rod holders I have 3 zip tie loops on my crate that hold my lantern secure. I leave it in the truck during the day...grab it for night......keep it simple.

View Posta "c-light" is very very poor over any amount of distance over a few hundred feet. their whole premise is the lens that it has, similar to what I guess would be a fresnel lens, like a lighthouse. by that I mean somehting like a riverrock or any type normal lantern/light emits light out, almost equally, in all directions(unless it has a lid or bottom.) now a lens like that on the C-light concentrates that light into a very narrow, but bright horizontal beam, in 360degress. Just like a lighthouse, if the beam were to shine out in a 360degree circle, but only in a narrow band.

NOW if you're inline or close to being inline with that beam, super, bright light. But if you're below it(or in the case of most boats) above it, all you see is a small dimly glowing bulb. if you're sitting still and the boat isn't rocking or you aren't waving the light, that bright beam is staying stationary and not drawing attention like it should. those C lights are designed to be worn on a PFD if you ditch, not to keep boats from smaking you in the middle of the night.

*end of rant*

Point taken. I fish quite a bit at night with another guy who has the same light. I find it quite visible from a distance. But I never thought about what it would look like if viewed from a different angle. Better safe than sorry, I'll pick up the other type and give it a try. Thanks for graphics!

View PostThis is what I did for a lite. I also incorperated my flag into it. No need to drill extra holes in the yak.

P3180428.jpg

SWEET ! i use glow stick's as bow and stern's....i have a cheapo l.e.d. epoxied to a dowel as a 360 overhead stuffed in a rod tube....i am thrifty and do not have the budget for eccentric's...but some good idea's here

I've been using C-light for a year and never realized how poorly it identified my position when the other kayakers I was guiding lost sight of me in the moonless night, and had to call me on the VHF, all the while I was only 75 yards away and I could see them clearly. They were flying LED lanterns.....since then I use one too. Picked two up at Walley's for 5 bucks/each.

I mounted a tektite 4 led marker light to a 4ft pvc pipe (1/2" dia) & ziptie it to my millkcrate. This works great w/ no holes or special mounts. It easily slides in & out of the zip ties when u need it to, but stays firm from swaying while on the crate. The pvc pipe/ light will stay on the crate even if it's flipped upside down.

The tektites come w/ a white cone but different colors can be purchased. Sometimes i change the cone lens to green or blue when i'm in an area where there are alot of kayakers so that my buddies can spot me imediately. Even w/ the white cone I can easily spot the tektite's out from the c-lights because they are so much brighter. They cost double of the c-lights but well worth it- wish I would of known that before I purchased my c-light.

i have one of these always installed in case i need it. i forget the name but i think it's a dive light.

sternlight-large.jpg

i also have a river rock lantern on a pvc pipe that i take if i know i'm going to fish at night.

I use the C-Light AND I have the River Rock K2 lantern too, but I never used it because of exactly what Anthony showed in his diagram. This is a lantern and not a navigation light, it was designed to throw light (and lots of it) all over the place. It will alert other boaters to your position, but it will also spook many of the fish I seek in the boulder field too... and that is where I'm at in the late evenings. For me, I'd rather use the C-Light for now, until I can rig up something better. The choice is yours.

One of these day, I will snap a pic of the beam patter of the C-Light, River Rock k2, and one of the Costco imitations of the original River Rock.

Last thing, you need to make sure the light is above the height of your head so others can see it. So, the Tektite on an aluminum tube may not cut it. Otherwise, your , body, big melon, or pirate flag may block the light beam and get you run over by a boat.