Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fid

Q: Reel maintenance and cleaning

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Just have a few questions.

Usually when I'm done for the day, I do a quick spray down w/ fresh water on both the rod and reel. Should I do anything else?

If I need to take a reel apart, what type of cleaning solution should I use and what parts shouldn't I clean?

And last one: What kind of grease / lube should I use?

Thanks

I always put a coat of auto wax on my rods at the start of the season. As far as cleaning reels I use Break cleaner to get all the old grease out and then I use Super Lube grease for packing my reels and Blue 4 in 1 oil for the bearings.

I can go through the season this way. I do a full take down of my 710z and 704z about half way through the season because of the abuse I put them through. My other reels are good for the season. I wouldnt spray any rubber parts with the Brake cleaner,it might eat the rubber.

View PostJust have a few questions.

Usually when I'm done for the day, I do a quick spray down w/ fresh water on both the rod and reel. Should I do anything else?

If I need to take a reel apart, what type of cleaning solution should I use and what parts shouldn't I clean?

And last one: What kind of grease / lube should I use?

Thanks

There is tons of info on maintaining a rod and reel when surfcasting.To me taking care of my stuff depends on the conditions I encountered while fishing.Any time I come back from the beach I will give the rod and reel a washdown.If you do the search you will see most posts will advise to give a light spray with drag tightened.As I said conditions determine as to far I go on one day of fishing.If when Im fishing and Im in the water using my Penn 706 and it and the rod are getting hit with waves(Im clumsy and end up taking at one or two dunks.Emgred dont laugh) with sand in them then more care is needed to the 706.Upon getting home rod and reel will get washdown but as soon as I can I will take down all the way and regrease and oil again.As to what oil or grease to use thats up to you as you will get about 20 products names.I like the blue grease on a 706.Go into any auto or marine supply and they should have it.Any quality oil should work.I use Break Free gun oil as I never had a problem with it on hunting guns.Another product which I think is great is Corossion X spray.If you use this or any other spray wipe off the excess or spray onto a cloth.You can any degreaser to get out the old grease.Many use Simple Green.Do a search on cleaning bearings.