Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoshR

Want To Build a Dog Run.. ideas????

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I am looking to build some sort of inclosed area in my back yard for my dogs to run and play and do their buisness in so i can plant some grass seed and give it time to grow...

originally i was going to fence off the side of my house in my back yard and use that.. its about 14x24.. it worked for a while.. but eventually the dogs started digging it up and then would come in the house covered in dirt.. so i decided to brick the floor in it.. well i was able to secure some bricks from someone who was tearing up a patio.. BUT... i calculated i would need over 2000 bricks to cover that large area..

so then i was just thinking of makeing a fully fenced in box that was moveable and making some sort of floor for it.. ..

not looking for something too big i have 2 medium size dogs.. 50lbs and 40lbs.. and they are not going to live in it.. they are inside pets.. BUT like to run and play outside when the weather is nice.. I was thinking of maybe putting a roof/top on one side for them to get out of the sun/weather..

any ideas? pictures of what you did..

thanks

Well for the cover there is a place in CT that makes covers and sells the piping/fencing to rig it as well. They have pictures on their web page.

I would abandon the idea of moving it and pour a concrete pad. It will be easy to clean up and you'll have a lot less dirt inside your house.

hi, i built a doggy daycare in port monmouth, the ouside dog run was fenced and they used pea gravel as base.. have to put down weed barrier first then gravel.. this way the poop stays on top for easy pick up and the P will go through the barrier.. worked well

yes you can train them - we trained ours. if you walk the dogs on a leash to this area every time you take them out - then reward them with a treat when they do what you want them to do (pee &/or poop) they will continue to go in that one spot.

----------------

I've had dogs for 25 years and I would go with the concrete.Form it off with 2x4s call a truck and just skree it even with a 2x4-done.Buy some chain link panels and one with a door .It will last forever.Running on concrete wears the nails down so you don't have to cut themas much.

I expect to be building one ... or should I say fencing in a large portion of my yard for my golden

He currently digs when he's tethered and I believe its frustration cause he wants to be with me wherever in the yard i may be working

my job will be done by me and it's a big job

I'll be using horse fencing - 3 rail - 6" planks and then I'll staple black wire fence to it in order to keep the dog inside

unfortunatey, I need to be able to get into and out of it in numerous places which means the fence company will be building me a number of gates or different sizes

I hope to get started this month but it will get underway in earnest when the spring thaws come

It's the dogs that are bad. And as any dog lover will tell you there are no bad dogs only bad owners. So all you have to do is train the pups not to dig. We did this once by using a trainers suggestion. He said put cocked mouse traps in the holes and lightly cover them over with dirt. It shouldn't take to many times to train them not to dig.

Peace