Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluefish1928thing

frog lures

37 posts in this topic

i have been reading a lot about frog lures and would like to try them this season. Which ones are good with hookset and durability. are rigged ones like snagproof better than those unrigged ones with come 5 to a package? I see theres the zoom horny toad, basspro , stanley ribbit, snag proof, scumfrog, spor, and many others. Any tips and choosing which ones? i dont plan on buying a baitcaster, would a spinning reel loaded with 25 pound test line for the first 30 yards(i dont cast that far using a 6 foort 6 rod) with 12 pound test backing be enough? i fish only from shore.

Personally, I use the Stanley Ribbit Frogs pretty much exclusively. I'm sure there are others that would work just as well or better, but those have always performed well for me. They are not that expensive either. As for equipment I use the same combo I do for bay fishing schoolies and blues: a Penn Slammer 360 filled with 20 pound braid with a 7' MH St. Croix Tidemaster... I have never felt this combo was not heavy enough. I use this combo for all my heavy cover fishing with worms, frogs, etc. and it makes a great LMB setup.

I like top water fishing, so I've used a few different 'frogs' over time. The Scumfrog has worked well for me. I'm usually using the frogs around or on pads and weeds, so the weedless aspect helps. I also use another frog that looks like the scum frog, but has a concave face. I don't remember the company, but the thing was called something like popper frog. Which is basically what it was.

With either of them you've got to let the fish hold it for a short bit, otherwise you'll pull it out of it's mouth. I usually drag the frog over lilly pads and let it fall into holes. The bass will strike when the frog hits the hole, or the edge of the pads. And other times I've had them explode right thru the pads. I've used some other frogs with legs etc, but I keep going back to either the scum, or the popper frog.

I usually am using a baitcasting setup since it feels like it's in contact with the lure. Although I suppose with the continuous anti-reverse a spinner would feel the same.

In open water, especially on the edges of lilly pads, I've had a lot of success with Heddon Torpedos in either a leopard frog or bullfrog pattern.

IMO the rigged frogs and the unrigged plastic frogs are two different breeds. One of them is worked with walk the dog, the other is a no bs retrieve that kicks up as much water as a buzzbait. Both are effective under different conditions. You'll have to experiment with time of day, water temperature, weed coverage and such. Find out which works in open water, which works best in heavy hydrilla or lilly. Both may work one day but only one may work another day. It all depends on how finicky the bass are due to the conditions. Is the water dirty? If so, you want tons of splashing and a fast retrieve to let the bass know where your bait is? Go with the plastic frogs. Are they biting a slowly retrieved, relatively quiet walk the dog presentation in clearer water? Go with the rigged frog.

I like Zoom Horny Toads and the Stanley Ribbit Frog. I'm no fan of the YUM Buzzfrog. The thick body makes for a difficult hookset especially on smaller or short striking fish. I have had much better hookup ratios on the other two brands.

A rule of thumb is a two count before setting the hook. Another method is to retrieve with the rod tip high, at 10 or 11 o clock and when a fish hits, reel down the slack, taking your time, and set the hook when you feel the weight. When I was new to frogs the biggest mistake was a fast hookset, resulting in pretty frustrating days. But eventually you learn to take your time and not let your hookset be affected by your rapidly pounding heart or the adrenaline from a topwater strike.

Good luck!

why do some ppl use like 65 to 80 pound test braid just to get bass out of lily pads. i have had breakoffs using 12 pound test line, but i dont see a need in using tuna gear to catch a 4 pound bass.

View Postwhy do some ppl use like 65 to 80 pound test braid just to get bass out of lily pads. i have had breakoffs using 12 pound test line, but i dont see a need in using tuna gear to catch a 4 pound bass.

50-65 lb braid is pretty standard for hauling bass out of weeds when fishing a frog. A lot of the time, you have 4 or 5 lbs of fish and double that weight in weeds, so 8 or 10 lbs worth of weeds. 15 lbs of stuff on the end is a load for light line. Braid comes into play because it cuts through the weeds pretty effectively. I don't know about you but I've seen some pretty thick lillies and those roots are hard to cut through even with braid. May seem like overkill, but tournament anglers can not accept tackle failure when money is on the line. For recreation and the benefit of longer casts, I think 30 lb braid will do the job.

Scum frogs are very effective and i would invest in some for your arsenial. As far as unrigged, you should be ok w/ any brand you choose. I persionally like zoom products. No real reason why but i have alot of confidence in their products. You will notice however, frogs some with different leg tails. Some have large paddle tails and some have thinner swinning tails. When buying hooks, get at least a 5/0 Extra wide gap hook. They look big but there is alot of plastic for the hook to go through. If the gap is too small, when you set the hook, the point does not expose enough to catch the fish. I would give at least 2-3 seconds between the strike and the hookset. I like to have the hook come out of the frogs head early (before you rotate it and go back through the plastic) This pushes the head up alittle and will plow through the water better causing a bigger wake. Dark colores such as black, ockochbee craw, etc are great colors to start with IMO. As far as your setup i would put more than 30 yds of braid on your reel. You can cast further than that with those heavy baits. What if you snap off in some thick lilly pads? Then your down to say 15 yards.cwm31.gif Zoom super flukes are also extremely effective fished in lilly pads. Work the bait with a walk-the-dog type retreive, let them sink on and open hole and repeat. Good Luck.

View Postwhy do some ppl use like 65 to 80 pound test braid just to get bass out of lily pads. i have had breakoffs using 12 pound test line, but i dont see a need in using tuna gear to catch a 4 pound bass.

Because we want to go right into their house and catch them where they live, not just when they decide to move around.

I like hollow body frogs, owner hooks, 60lb power pro, on a flipping stick.

I double up the lead inside and add glass beads to the cavity to aid in casting and make some noise even when it's basically sitting still.

Ok, first you have to understand that there are two different types of frogs, both have their time and place. First off you have Hollow Body Frogs, these are frogs that float, and as it says in the name...have a hollow body. My favorite hollow body frog is a original scumfrog, or when conditions are less weedy scumfrog popper. I've also done well with Bobbys Perfect Frog.

Then you have frogs I like to call "Buzzfrogs", these frogs are the soft plastic frogs, I call them buzzfrogs because they act sorta like a buzzbait, with the feet kicking, and water throwing.

Now I'll tell you when and where I find one style of frog better then the other. Hollow Body Frogs I find work best in the thickest of weeds, or in the thick lillypads. I slowly twitch the frog over the top of the thick weed mat, and give it long to short pauses, I'll also drag/hop. I find most hits to come on the pause, or just after the pause, but the bass will literally explode through the weedmat and grab the frog. Hollow body frogs are nice because they float, and with they're hook and body design they are perfect for fishing in the thickest of muck while coming out clean, or atleast most of the time.

Now I'll talk about buzzfrogs, buzzfrogs are great when you want more action, majority of these frogs sink, so you really can't give them a pause, unless of course you pull the frog ontop a really thick weedmat. I typically fish these frogs with a slow-steady retrieve, the feet will paddle and kick and throw water, and it can really be key sometimes to get the bass to come and destroy that bait. I find these type of frogs work best in the "less weedy" areas, not meaning in areas with no weeds, but areas that are not entirely loaded with weeds to a point where its just a sheet of muck. I prefer to fish these frogs in the areas where the muck/weed is spread out, one clump of muck/weed here and there, with each clump being a foot or so apart, obviously you don't have to be as specific as this, but I think you get the idea. The thing is, I tend to find buzzfrogs get weeds caught in them a little easier then the hollow frogs, so when the weeds are so thick that they cover a good percent of the lake, my typical choice is the hollow frog, plus I believe when the muck is so thick that the fish can't really see the bait through it, that a slow presentation is key, which is exactly what a hollow frog usually is. Also, don't limit the buzzfrog to only fishing weeds, you can fish this bait in open water, or around the edges of shorelines as well. As for the hollow body frogs, I reallly don't fish these in any other scenario other then lillys/weeds. Some say they do well with them in open water, but not me.

Oh, let me also say this, I don't choose a buzzfrog in the thick pads because I find the frog will start tumbling over, and getting caught up in the "V" in the pads etc, simply because you usually keep the frog moving with the slow to steady retrieve, I notice the buzzfrog will fall over, and tumble etc as getting retrieved through the thick pads. However a hollow frog you would be able to slowly pull ontop of the lillypad, and slowly drag it off, while letting it float still in the small open pockets between the thick pads, which you couldn't do with the buzzfrog. Although if the pads aren't thick, and ar spread out or submerged a buzzfrog would definetly be worth throwing a top this, and if that failed I'd try the hollow body, maybe a hollow body popper frog model.

As for the buzzfrogs, I like the stanley ribbit (original size, not bull ribbit), I find this frog's feet to kick nicely, and ride correct, meaning it doesn't flip over and swim on its back as much as other buzzfrogs I've fished, though I will say it does flip over on occasion, and I don't think theres a buzzfrog out there that doesn't flip over here and there. Although who knows if this honestly makes a difference, because it sure doesn't effect the action coming from the feet. As for rigging buzzfrogs, I typically use a 4/0 EWG Gamakatsu hook, alot of people use 5/0s, but I find the 4/0 to be big enough.

As a side note I am no pro at striper plugging, but when it comes to freshwater bassing... well lets just say I practice it religiously...biggrin.gif

I dont own one but I know that the Spro Frog was labeled lure of the year ahead of sebiles in 08 or 07 by B.A.S.S. I dont know what good that does for the thread but there is my input lol

View PostI dont own one but I know that the Spro Frog was labeled lure of the year ahead of sebiles in 08 or 07 by B.A.S.S. I dont know what good that does for the thread but there is my input lol

That's because Dean Rojas (B.A.S.S. Pro Angler) designed it in association with Spro. It's nothing but a gimmick to get you to pay 2x-3x more a frog. It's not the lure, its the fisherman. You can make a cabelas frog do the same thing as a Spro frog and catch just as many fish for less money.