Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Barely Legal

Hot Bite - Surf Perch

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

cwm31.gif FNG cwm31.gif

Was planning on making a run down the the Santa Cruz/Monterey Area, wanted to do a little perch fishing. Don't know the beaches to well and was wondering if some of you can point me in the general direction of some fish.

And possibly some areas to camp (RV) close (walking distance) to the fishing locations; RV hookups would be a PLUS!

Thanks!

One place I know that has RV hook ups and parking with a seaside view is Seacliff State Beach. You need to call in since competition for the spaces with hook ups is fierce. I'm pretty sure its power only and I don't think there is a dump site in the park. New Brighton state beach has RV camping but no hook ups.

Both of these beaches share the same shoreline. New Brighton has rocks/tidepools and lots of seaweed last time I was there which was in late December.

Seacliff is more sandy with the old concrete ship and pier of course. Haven't fished there so I don't know how productive the area is.

Capitola warf has been good to me over the years, especially for surfperch. I like to cast side ways onto the dry sand and drag the hooks through the foam. The surfperch hit in about 3-4" of depth. Very shallow water. They don't seem to like water more than 2' deep. Odd. Rubber-mouth perch are common to.

Seacliff has been fairly good to but haven't personally fished there in years. I don't know anything about RV parking/camping in the Santa Cruz area.

-2bigsteve

I have always found you do better on rubber lipped perch around the rocky areas..Never caught a rubber lipped perch worth talking about on a sandy beach?

just my 2 cents

View PostI have always found you do better on rubber lipped perch around the rocky areas..Never caught a rubber lipped perch worth talking about on a sandy beach?

just my 2 cents

Would those be Perchis Surfhunteris or Perchis Chrashqis confused.gif