Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rocco

box/white wine for cooking

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

in my never ending quest to save $$ and enjoy good food, i finally bought my first box of wine. ideally, i was looking for a dry white wine, that could even pass as occasional table wine.

what i was looking for was something comparable to say barefoot sauvignon blanc, sutter home, frontera, etc. what i got, doesn't even taste like sauvignon blanc. headscratch.gif (i got a box of corbett canyon, maybe they mislabled the box? it tastes more like a chitty chardonnay than anything.confused.gif)

what you got for some cheapo fave cooking and drinking when the good stuff isn't chilled or a nice meal wasn't that well thought out??

beers.gif

Dude, you made the first sinful mistake a cook can make. Boxed wine is a no no! You want the wine to carry over through the meal. Here are some suggestions for you:

American Sauvignon Blanc, very dry and lite herbal tilt

Riesling, Viognier- dynamic, bold and for bold or spicy dishes

Petite Syrah or Zinfandel - hearty wine for simmering meat

Try these out also- Port, Sherry, Madeira- these are fortified with more alcohol and have a longer shelf life, good for sauces and reductions.

When I used to cook back in the day we used Opus One for sauces and reductions. Those times have changed because I am not in Napa anymore. I keep it simple and stay under 30 a bottle.

yes, mistake was out of the box so to speak, before it even hit the tongue. i don't even think it influenced the dish in any way though. more akin to just using water instead.

i find some of the american ones can be quite salty. we use sauv blanc in dishes and drink quite a bit. guess i should just start picking up the moderatley priced stuff by the case if no one else has any suggestions...

View Post

i find some of the american ones can be quite salty.

that's the real problem. a lot of them actually have sodium in them, and if you reduce at all, that comes out and its never pleasant.

I get four packs of wine and keep them on hand they are very handy and portion friendly with a screw on cap they can be resealed. The key is if you wont drink it from a glass dont cook with it.525