Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LogCabins

New MG series tops question

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

On my factory Super Surf ss101ms it is a size 9 tube and 10 ring. I have wanted to change it out to a 12 ring for some time now. But Fuji didn't make a size 9 tube in a 12 frame in Alconite or SiC. Now they do in this MG series. So before I grab one my question is what is the right top for a spinning surf rod. BMGAT or MGST? They say for Medium-heavy spinning use. So not sure that applies because most rods have seen use the "all purpose" tops that I see usually.

Normally I would just throw a HardAlloy top on and be done with it. But since this rod already has all Alconite guides I don't want to use a top thats a step down from the guides.

Thanks beers.gif

not use a BMNAT 12/9 for Alconite?

The ring stands a good bit taller than the BMGAT, so it will line up to your line flow better. It also has the foot to wrap down so you don't have to worry about it rotating.

As for using Hardloy for a top?headscratch.gif I would not do that. The tip and stripper are two places where having a very smooth ring is extremely important, and Hardloy is quite abrasive.smile.gif

View Postnot use a BMNAT 12/9 for Alconite?

I am absolutely hooked on this top. The standoff is perfect, the foot a great plus, and the long sloping frame legs significantly reduce tip-wrapping when working poppers and pencils. Except for the very lightest stuff, I'm planning on using BMNATs for everything in the foreseeable future.

you shoulda taken redhawks advice to stay outta the rodbuilding forum. Too much reasearch cwm15.gifbeatin.gif I bet he is cringing as he reads this in fear of more changes cwm31.gif . The OCD is reaching all time highs.

View Postyou shoulda taken redhawks advice to stay outta the rodbuilding forum. Too much reasearch cwm15.gifbeatin.gif I bet he is cringing as he reads this in fear of more changes cwm31.gif . The OCD is reaching all time highs.

lol He need not worry the cow slaying rods are going to be sick! heart.gif

This is for my factory SS rod I have been using this year based on the blank I've been trying to get you to buy. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Refer back to the thread with me and TBD argueing about how my swivel should not be going through my tip and blah blah blah. Well its a 10 ring which I hate. I want to put a 12 on it for two reasons.

First if my swivel accidently gets reeled up to it it doesn't smash it violently.

Second now I have all these rods and I want to easily change my reel from one rod to the next. Using those Backlash clips I can slip them through anything size 12 ring or bigger tip easily and through all my guides so I don't have to cut my leader and re tie to swap. wink.gif

But anyway the problem has been solved and I have found the solution wink.gif