Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carolina Sean

Questions from Billy's Book

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hello all. I just got into building rods for myself and am getting addicted to the craft! Been lurking on here and the .org site trying to pick up info and learn. I've watched the Doc Ski video's (building and weaving), read Tom's book, read both of Dale's books (building and thread art), read the rod building portion of the complete book of tackle making and Billy's book. Not in that order though, but would have helped me some. Billy's book is great, but I felt I got a better understanding by reading Dale's book for a better grasp of the background material.

Anyway, I've built 3 rods so far (2 chevrons (one was a 5 color 3:1 fade) and a diamond) and now I've been trying to get my head wrapped around some of the patterns in Billy's book that I hope someone can help me with.

Thread Layout --

Is the layout of the threads with or without the +1's? Say if it is a plus one pattern you omit the +1 until you start the first pass and don't do it in the layout? If not, then you can ignore my next ramble on sizes...same process just different numbers would come up, I think. I am just thinking that the layout is the layout and the +1's don't start until you start making passes. Am I thinking wrong?

Figuring sizes -- (all with size A thread)

Fish outline pattern - with 5 passes would I have 30 threads in the pattern with a width of 7.5mm? I don't have to worry about the number of background threads unless I am doing multiple axes, right, because you just close it out with the background color (black in the book)?

4 Point Star Variation - with 8 passes would I have 32 threads with a width of 8mm and then 32 threads for the background separating the stars making the pattern 16mm's in length from center of one star to the next?

Mirror - would I have 60 threads with 5 passes and a 15mm width?

Finally, what is the pattern on the top two wraps on the right of the cover? I can't wait to see some of the rods at the NERBs booth at the ICRBE next month and definitely plan on hovering around and watching you guys wrap!

Thanks in advance and thanks to Billy for sharing his knowledge!

- Sean

View Post

I am just thinking that the layout is the layout and the +1's don't start until you start making passes.

Lots of questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can one post at a time.

Page 20 teh Glossary explains +1 - Teh first pass IS the same thing as the layout. So you use 1 thread. Next Pass you use 2 threads for the instruction that requires +1 (I hope that is clear?)

View Post

Figuring sizes -- (all with size A thread)

Fish outline pattern - with 5 passes would I have 30 threads in the pattern with a width of 7.5mm? I don't have to worry about the number of background threads unless I am doing multiple axes, right, because you just close it out with the background color (black in the book)?

What you posted is accurate. 7.5mm will be the approximate size from the inside of teh tail, to the front of the nose of the Fish.

If oyu were doing multiple axis, you would HAVE TO include: © Black Cross Down +1 in your sizing to make sure the patterns do not overlap.

View Post

4 Point Star Variation - with 8 passes would I have 32 threads with a width of 8mm and then 32 threads for the background separating the stars making the pattern 16mm's in length from center of one star to the next?

I'm a little confused on this one.

8 passes

A & B Box wrapped IN = 2 thread per pass = 16 total

C Box wrapped out x4 = 8 threads per pass = 64 total

TOTAL threads for 8 passes = 80

Distance form teh inside curves of teh Star = 4mm (16/4)

Distance of the background including the Star = 20mm (80/4)

View PostMirror - would I have 60 threads with 5 passes and a 15mm width?

Mirror

5 passes

A & B Box In is 2 threads per pass = 10 threads

C & D Box Out + 1 = 30 threads total (5+4+3+2+1 = 15, multiplied by 2 for each side)

TOtal number of threads for 5 passes = 40

View PostFinally, what is the pattern on the top two wraps on the right of the cover? I can't wait to see some of the rods at the NERBs booth at the ICRBE next month and definitely plan on hovering around and watching you guys wrap!

Those are Sparklers. Please go here and print this out and/or make the corrections in your book. I'm really sorry there are mistakes, but there are adn I can't do anything about it except try to let people know. Scroll down to the bottom

http://****.com/decorativewraps.html

When you come to teh booth make sure you let me know you'r teh SOB who dissed my book in favor of Clemens book on SOL, lol. FWIW, I agree with you, Clemens book had a lot mroe background info, which if you understood waht he was talking about it was really beneficial. The problem was that information confused a LOT of people. My goal was to simplify teh process as much as possible, so that when people read teh book they felt like it was somethign they were capable of accomplishing, instead of being scared off by all that info.

View PostI'm a little confused on this one.

8 passes

A & B Box wrapped IN = 2 thread per pass = 16 total

C Box wrapped out x4 = 8 threads per pass = 64 total

TOTAL threads for 8 passes = 80

Distance form the inside curves of the Star = 4mm (16/4)

Distance of the background including the Star = 20mm (80/4)

I guess I don't quite understand...and I am sure (one day) it will go ding in my head - hopefully soon!

...and I think it might have just went ding...I was thinking a cross is made up of 2 threads and a box was made up of 4 threads.

Sean

View PostThose are Sparklers. Please go here and print this out and/or make the corrections in your book. I'm really sorry there are mistakes, but there are adn I can't do anything about it except try to let people know. Scroll down to the bottom

http://****.com/decorativewraps.html

When you come to teh booth make sure you let me know you'r teh SOB who dissed my book in favor of Clemens book on SOL, lol. FWIW, I agree with you, Clemens book had a lot mroe background info, which if you understood waht he was talking about it was really beneficial. The problem was that information confused a LOT of people. My goal was to simplify teh process as much as possible, so that when people read teh book they felt like it was somethign they were capable of accomplishing, instead of being scared off by all that info.

Not a diss at all, Billy. I like your book and I don't remember Dale's book going into this type of detail and left spacing and sizes up to the reader to figure out. Without your book we would not be discussing any of this probably.

No need to be sorry about the mistakes and thanks for posting the link to the corrections - your work is appreciated!

I think you know the guy on the left...so that makes me on the right. I'll see you at the show for sure...

232323232%7Ffp53648%3Enu%3D334%3A%3E964%