What make Surf/rain top

Rate this topic

The Rustyhook

I've been searching this topic and there's a lot of good stuff. i think a lot depends on how wet you expect to get. They aren't made, but the Simms is awesome. Immersion Research and Bomber Gear have been mentioned. True kayaking dry tops look like a great natural fit.

For true "dry" top, they look like they're going for over $200. If you don't plan on being in the water quite a bit or if you're fishing in rough water, kayak semi dry tops look like a good and more affordable option. I have a few of these, but the sizing is the problem i had. My big a$$ head barely fits in one, where i get a perfect fit with another.

This thread is a great one in terms of info. Geared toward kayaking but its what you'll be wearing so its good to know.

I started with the Grunden Petrus. At a little under $90 it's a pretty good buy. Works great as a rain top/splash top and I'll continue to use it for that.

But I took about a gallon and a half of water down the neck wading in it one night and it kinda shook me a little.

I picked up the Lamiglas surf top afterward and I'm much more comfortable being out deeper or in bigger surf in that.

The downside, as far as you might be concerned, is that it doesn't have a hood.

I plan on picking up the Aquaskinz Dry Hood in the spring. That should work on rainy days or on days where the water is getting a little rambunctious. It'll keep my noggin dry as well as hopefully tighten the seal around the neck a little.

I tried on the Simms and the Aquaskinz Raptor when making my decission and what really sold me on the Lami was how light weight it was. I don't know how well that will translate into durability but with the other tops I felt like I was strapping into a straight jacket. The Lami is just a lot less bulky and more comfortable. Haven't been submerged in it yet but I've gotten beaten up pretty good with it on and other than a little water dribbling down the neck I was golden.

Depending on what conditions you face, here are some things to look at.

Heavy rain, splashing waves - Helly Hanson, Grunden, Cabela

Rain, deeper wading, ocassional wave over the head - Kayak semi dry tops

Rock hopping, dunking etc. - Kayak dry top, or any of the dry tops made for surfcasting ie: Aquaskins

I use a Bomber Gear semi dry top and love it.

A Curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities.

I fish in rain and splashing conditions.But don't get into waves over the head situations.To old for that stuff.I recently got A Anyfish Anywhere top.Had to get it from the UK.But I love it.Will purchase the bibs next for boat fishing.Just another option and not expensive even with shipping.

Wellcraft 32 CC

Scout 200 Bay scout

View Postbeen looking myself for a good dry top - I want one that has "ties" on the waist to limit the amount of water penetration on the "inside" of the jacket while wading -

are they water proof on the inside as well as the outside ?

Tom

Tom - More importantly than the tie would be the use of neoprene if you're goal is to prevent water. The Simms isnt made, but you can probably find one used if you look hard enough or ask. I have yak tops that only have a tie, but I won't be getting in deeper than waist deep because it wont prevent water. Some serious yak dry tops do have the neoprene and velcro or cinches or a combo to prevent water from getting in.

Tom - More importantly than the tie would be the use of neoprene if you're goal is to prevent water. The Simms isnt made, but you can probably find one used if you look hard enough or ask. I have yak tops that only have a tie, but I won't be getting in deeper than waist deep because it wont prevent water. Some serious yak dry tops do have the neoprene and velcro or cinches or a combo to prevent water from getting in.

this is very helpful information - thanks !

I wouldn't be any deeper than my waist; but you know how "waves" are: they usually have a mind of their own ! lol

Tom

Professional Novice

Check out NRS- used one in Montauk this fall and loved it. Went under for awhile and stayed dry except for a little water on the sleeves. Light weight and fits well (I'm 250# and 5'11"). Best of all it was under $100.

It's not the size of the fish, it's the size of the smile on your face.

simms guide jacket. No neck gasket though I dont get down with this whole swim out and fish stuff.

(**The artist formerly known as 'stcroixaddict')
Blue fish overwinter in the core of the earth, accessed via deep ocean trenches. Here they do the devil's work and, in exchange, get their teeth sharpened.