Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
passiton

Wood Cook Stoves

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

We've been heating our house with wood since we bought it and will need to upgrade to a new stove in the next year or two. The one we have now is a tad too small for the square footage it needs to heat and we plan to add a few more rooms on.

Anyone have any experience with wood cook stoves? They can be pricey and I'd like to hear some first and feedback as we start looking more seriously in the coming year. This stove will be used primarily for heating and for some secondary cooking and baking.

how big is your house? how well insulated ?

i dont think you could use it to heat your house.

its to compliment your primary heat sourse that should be in the main

living quarters.

it makes for a warm cosy kitchen.

dose your home have registers? small holes in the ceiling to allow flow of heat to the second floor ?

with two stoves going you stay warmer and it should use less wood than

running one wide open .

i have cooked sucessfully on a cookstove, it takes a learning ceurve and knowledge of wood, and burning it. dry wood and what type of wood for amount of heat wanted.

i grew fond of the ahley cabinet woodstove, it holds enouph wood to burn 8-10 hours, and the kitchen stove

View Posthow big is your house? how well insulated ?

i dont think you could use it to heat your house.

its to compliment your primary heat sourse that should be in the main

living quarters.

it makes for a warm cosy kitchen.

dose your home have registers? small holes in the ceiling to allow flow of heat to the second floor ?

with two stoves going you stay warmer and it should use less wood than

running one wide open .

i have cooked sucessfully on a cookstove, it takes a learning ceurve and knowledge of wood, and burning it. dry wood and what type of wood for amount of heat wanted.

i grew fond of the ahley cabinet woodstove, it holds enouph wood to burn 8-10 hours, and the kitchen stove

My house is an 800 sq. ft ranch with good insulation. Everything is living quarters when your home is this small. cwm27.gif

We'll likely add on about 200 sq feet next year in the form of a small bedroom, 1/2 bath, and kitchen extension. Still keeps us small and and I'm not so worried about heating capacity, as most of the wood cook stoves I've looked at have at least as large a firebox as what I'm using now.

my brother had an old glenwood in excellent shape that he used extensively for a time

i don't know how well it held a fire overnight though

there are places you can get rebuilt ranges, but they are pricy

any chance of hooking a second airtight stove to the same flue- down cellar perhaps to save floor space?

assuming the flue pipe is big enough that is

otherwise you will be either waking up cold or waking up too early to throw some more wood on

you might consider a multi fuel kitchen range propane/summer & wood/coal in winter. had friends in ny used such a system , paul had his own woodlot

What ever you decide, make sure it is UL approved. and as rob- s stated there is a learning curve regarding even heat regulation. I have used them in the past.

Most of the genuine antiques wood cook stove used a century ago have a surprisingly small fire box compared to contemporary wood stoves designed to heat.

View Postyou might consider a multi fuel kitchen range propane/summer & wood/coal in winter. had friends in ny used such a system , paul had his own woodlot

What ever you decide, make sure it is UL approved. and as rob- s stated there is a learning curve regarding even heat regulation. I have used them in the past.

View PostMost of the genuine antiques wood cook stove used a century ago have a surprisingly small fire box compared to contemporary wood stoves designed to heat.

there you go

watch local codes about sharing flues (gas and wood)

local building inspector might not let you install it due to flue sharing, even though you won't use both at same time

somewhere out there is exactly what you need

I'd never pipe two stoves into one flue. Too many issues there that I'm not prepared to play with.

I'll have to do some more research and look around at what's available. I've found some great looking stoves with the tiny firebox issue, some ugly stoves with huge fireboxes, and a bit of the in between for both. I really need to find some folks who have used these long term to get an idea of what works and doesn't work.

I'm not too worried about learning to cook with wood, as we'll still have our regular oven and stove. We'll have all the time in the world to play around and see what works. After 13 years of heating solely with wood and doinf some light cooking on the top of our stoves, I think we'll adjust fairly quickly.

Three stoves that I like:

$4500

About 1/2 that price

Over 8k with all the options, including hot water reservoir. Ouch!