Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobber

really LARGE arbor....

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

or more properly- LARGE DIAMETER fly reel. who's gonna make a bigasz fly reel for everyday use. like a bigger waterworks ULA, or somethin similar..... whats the holdup?? I mean the sky could be the limit on this- and it could really revolutionize the sport... any thoughts!!???

I had a Bluefin (AR)....... sold that tanker. What I'm looking for is something for everyday use- like on a 9 or 10weight. lightweight, huge diameter for superfast line pick-up for albies, jacks, mahi, cuda.......

haven't seen that particular Loop- I'll google it now.....

View PostI had a Bluefin (AR)....... sold that tanker. What I'm looking for is something for everyday use- like on a 9 or 10weight. lightweight, huge diameter for superfast line pick-up for albies, jacks, mahi, cuda.......

haven't seen that particular Loop- I'll google it now.....

Give me some specs! smile.gif

Bob- that Loop reel is pretty close to ewhat I'd be looking for..... something around 5 inches in diameter; thin/narrow spool; decent drag (but doesn't have to stop a bus in its tracks- just strong enough for practical use) and HOPEFULLY affordable......... six hundred bucks is a little steepcwm31.gifkooky.gif

View PostBob- that Loop reel is pretty close to ewhat I'd be looking for..... something around 5 inches in diameter; thin/narrow spool; decent drag (but doesn't have to stop a bus in its tracks- just strong enough for practical use) and HOPEFULLY affordable......... six hundred bucks is a little steepcwm31.gifkooky.gif

That's cake. When do you need it?

now I was hoping you were gonna see this- back in the days of ol' Sage Bill, we had a similar converation about this- I still don't think "big" reels have gone to their natural end..... everyone makes a 10wt reel thats 4.24 inches in diameter- why not go an inch bigger??? they'd still be plenty light enough- just seems like reel design has been stagnant since "large arbor" grabbed the headlines 10 years ago..... I especially like when reels simply get the moniker "large arbor" w/o actually growing in overall diameter (effectively accomplishing nothing)cwm13.gif

bobber,

Perfectly said. I have a 4.5 Islander, and Mammoth Tibor that is 5". Both way too heavy for my taste. I have been asking for 5" diameter, narrow spool, extreme light and simple design for years and I am still hoping it will be made. From my last conversation with the reel maker, he said he was going to do it soon. Hang on, bobber.

BobPop

Do what I did - I bought an Islander FR3 and made sure that it was filled with as much backing as possible - 'PRESTO!!!' Instant large arborcwm27.gif I had a Bauer M4 that I sold this past summer and this Islander reel retrieves line just as fast (if not faster)...And it's not a large arbor reel in any sense of the word.

View Postnow I was hoping you were gonna see this- back in the days of ol' Sage Bill, we had a similar converation about this- I still don't think "big" reels have gone to their natural end..... everyone makes a 10wt reel thats 4.24 inches in diameter- why not go an inch bigger??? they'd still be plenty light enough- just seems like reel design has been stagnant since "large arbor" grabbed the headlines 10 years ago..... I especially like when reels simply get the moniker "large arbor" w/o actually growing in overall diameter (effectively accomplishing nothing)cwm13.gif

Hey Bob, Give me about 5 days and I'll send you somethingsmile.gif

A little thank you for that plug you sent me last week.

Bob- this is a real possibility for a great niche reel. a true saltwater flyrodders "surfcasting fly reel"..... 5 1/4 (+/-) inches, narrow frame and spool. enough capacity to hold a 110ft line and (max) 200yds of 30lb Micron (that'll translate into PLENTY of GSP backing). the emphasis beng on LIGHTWEIGHT and RAPID LINE PICKUP........heart.gifdrool.gifheart.gifdrool.gif