Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lagerhead

Treadmills

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Hello all HappyWave.gif I have put on 60 pounds in the last year and need to act.

Is anybody a regular user of a treadmill? Looking for advice on brands and features I should be focussing on.

Most important is reliability and tread size. I really don't care about the fancy electronic options.

Looking to get a treadmill not an elliptical machine.

Thanks for your help! wk

Its the same as fishing equipment, you get what you pay for...I have a Diamondback that I paid about $1200.00 for (Gymsource) and have been very happy with....the one thing I can guarantee you if you go cheap at Dicks or some other big box you'll likely wind up with something that won't last....there is ALOT of crap exercise equip out there...shop around on-line, lots of good deals with this economy, be sure to specify that you're not looking for a lot of bell & whistles...also consider a service plan, they do require annual (at least) maintenance..

Good Luck smile.gif

View Postif you don't want to worry about things breaking check out the different skier models nordic track has on their site....then look on craigslist.

You talking about the no motor, x country type? My back wouldn't last. I just want to jog in my house for 20 mins 3 or 4 times a week.

Thanks Wig

View PostYou talking about the no motor, x country type? My back wouldn't last. I just want to jog in my house for 20 mins 3 or 4 times a week.

Thanks Wig

They also makes ones, or used to. that you don't have to use your hands at the same time.

(elliptical might be better if you have back issues)

60 pounds in a year? Have you spoken to a doctor? I hope there aren't any other health issues involved.

I've got a wicked bad back, torn miniscus in my right knee, and the left knee isn't right since being scoped 2 years ago. The ONLY machine I've been able to use so far, and lose weight doing it, is an eliptical. I got discouraged using a treadmill because I couldn't get my heart rate up and when I did, I'd only burn 150 calories in a half hours effort. On the eliptical, according to the machine anyway, I'm doing 450 to 500, depending on the routine and effort I put into it.

Get yourself a 6 day free pass to Workout world and try the eliptical. I think you'll be surprised.

Good luck by the way. I wish you well.

Thanks King, I appreciate that srsly. I exagerated the weight gain. I feel if I have the machine in my house, it will be more convenient to use it.

About your knee... You might want to consult Dr. Michael Sclafani. He did a great job replacing my ACL.

View PostThanks King, I appreciate that srsly. I exagerated the weight gain. I feel if I have the machine in my house, it will be more convenient to use it.

About your knee... You might want to consult Dr. Michael Sclafani. He did a great job replacing my ACL.

I had it in my house too....got it from Sudsy (still owe him a fluke trip redface.gif ) and in 6 weeks it became nothing more of a constant reminder of my continued failure.

My membership (1 location only) cost me $20 bucks a month and if that wasn't enough motivation (I'm half Scotish) then the immediate sucess I've had is. Seriously....go to WOW and try it. If you want, email your mailing addy and I'll send you a 6 day free pass. They're giving them away like candy. You got nothing to lose, except weight.

I just bought a barely used Horizon treadmill off craigslist for my wife. She likes it and I have been using it too for 30 mins a day.(Dropped 5 pounds since last Friday) The Horizon we got has a lifetime frame and motor warranty. I'm not sure if that is transferable to a second buyer, Hopefully we won't have to worry about that.

John

If you want to lose 60 pounds in a year, cardiovascular exercise probably won't do it alone. A treadmill would be a great start, but I second Kings over Queens, the eliptical is a bear. I thought it was too girly at first, then I got on it and burned 700 calories in 30 minutes. I don't have back pain, but my muscles do tend to tighten up after a few minutes of walking on an incline. I have had one knee re-done and the other one needs it, but I can do double the work on an elliptical that I can on a treadmill and because there is not as much impact my knees feel fine the next day.

I would reccomend going to a gym for a couple days and trying out different types of equipment. Most gyms will work out a 7 day trial for you. Once you have figured out what machines you like you can look into buying your own. If you buy a $1000 treadmill and find out that it doesn't work for you or is uncomfortable(If it hurts you won't do it), you wasted a bunch of money.

If you really want to lose a bunch of weight and keep it off you need to make some lifestyle changes. Going to a gym will help change the routines that got you into this position and may inspire you to take the steps to lose weight and keep it off.

Good Luck.

CJ

I use the "Sidewalk-O-Matic." Ten laps around the block and I'm good for the day. smile.gif

Get yourself some dumbbells and bomb it. Muscle burns fat for fuel. See a doctor first!

-2bigsteve

View PostYou know, you could always use the sidewalks. They're a lot cheaper than a treadmill.

Totally agree and the scenery is not as boring but in the winter, ice and snow covered roads and sidewalks make it imprqacticqal to walk outdoors.

I'm reluctantly using my wife's treadmill waiting for warmer weather.

Instead of losing weight as I do walking outside around the pond, the treadmill is just keeping me from putting weight on.

I hate using the damn thing but at least it serves some purpose....

View PostTotally agree and the scenery is not as boring but in the winter, ice and snow covered roads and sidewalks make it imprqacticqal to walk outdoors.

Fortunately, my gym overlooks the river. Tomorrow I'll watch ice boating. In the morning, when it's dark, I can watch hotties in the reflection of the window. smile.gif

If you are able to get your heart rate up walking outside, that's terrific. I've achieved far better results on the machine than on a treadmill or walking the streets.

I'm lucky to have time on my side. I walk at a 4 mph clip and walk 6 to 10 to 12 to 16 miles per day. Usually 6 to 10 in the morning and then 2 to 6 in the late afternoon or evening. I haven't been doing more gthan 6 a day since late October when I fell down the stairs. The surgery in December stopped it all together for a couple weeks and now the weather has made it all but impossible. It's all I can do to keep the weight from coming back on using the treadmill.

I managed to lose 38 pounds in 42 days back in Sept-Oct and almost 50 overall.. I've sinc oput close to 10 pounds back onredface.gif

I'm looking forward to moderated weather and my laps around the pond again. Give me temps in the 25°+ range and 'll be at it again. I had foolishly hoped to drop to 175 by March 1st but I now see that the factors are against me. April 15th is a better target and my new goal.