Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Can "one" vise do it all?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Is there really such a thing? Or is this all vise manufacturer marketing hype?

I tie flies from a #22 midge for summer time trout, to a 7/0 stainless jig hook on my 4-5oz bucktails. Does such a vise exist? Can I tie some tiny trout flies on Monday for a trout trip, then use the same vise to tie up a few 4oz jigs for a morning tide on the canal on Wed without replacing the jaws or making any other major modifications?

Looking at all the options out there, someone can drop a pile of $$$ on a vise, and still not be certain it can do all of the above. The person who taught me to tie flies in the 60's (Paul Kukonen) tied his trout/salmon flies on a basic $10 vise he sold in his shop, and tied all his jigs simply holding the jig in his hand.

i have a dyna king barracuda. i tie everything on it from my size 24 midges and tricos to my biggest salt stuff. this is a great vise for the money. heavy sturdy base for when you are spinning bass bugs. it has 2 different notches in the jaws for bigger hooks i think all the way to an 8/0. you should def check this vise out if you need an everything vise.

Likewise, my LAW vise covers the full range. In one tying session, I routinely go #24 midge or trico to a 4/0 and even up to an 8/0 Octopus hook. The better vises can usually cover the range. The important thing is to consider what you do most. I tie lots of little stuff, so I needed some fine-tipped jaws, like the LAW or Renzetti Master. But I also tie real big, so the hook pockets in the LAW "hook me up."

I think you really test the parameters of #24 thru 7/0 when you add the fact that the 7/0 has 5 ounces of lead hanging off the end. The weight on the end IMHO makes a big difference, acts like a fat kid on the other end of a seasaw wink.gif .

But aside from a bit of a hassle fitting in 5/0+ hooks I'll put my $100 ($60 when I bought it 15+ years ago) c-clamp Regal Inex up against most anything to fit that bill.

Good luck with whatever you choose smile.gif .

Alan

View Post.

But aside from a bit of a hassle fitting in 5/0+ hooks I'll put my $100 ($60 when I bought it 15+ years ago) c-clamp Regal Inex up against most anything to fit that bill.

Good luck with whatever you choose smile.gif .

Alan

If I had to keep one I would keep the Inex i have. Same as Alan, I paid about 60 bucks for it many moons ago and I still have it, chipped jaw and all. I still use it for the big stuff, although I have a Dan-Vise for the stuff that the rotary feature is good for like trout flies and some salt stuff.

I've tied flies ranging from size 32 to 10/0 on my Danvise. It does get a bit dicey at the higher and lower end with the hold, but no problems with the range you cited. I figure I've gotten my $80 worth from it over the last 8 years

on the low pice end, 99-150 check out the Anvil brand- US made.

the Dyna kings would be my next price choice..

on the high end, probably the top renzetti.

The danvise is intriguing, but I keep hearing how there is no room behind the head.

has never let me down. Admittedly, I don't tie much of the microscopic stuff - nothing smaller than 12, and that's because I don't trout fish. You might give the standard Traveler version a look. I haven't used it, so I don't know how it would do 7/0. Pricewise, mine was 250 when I bought it (6 years ago. Worth every penny. Not cheap by any means, but hey, buy once - cry once. I will say that when shopping for a vise, I'd look for a rotary vise. Palmering, working with epoxy, etc.. is way easier on a rotary.

Tight lines

I have an old (12 years) REnzetti TRaveller which I've tied size 30's with, as well as 4oz Smilin Bills. It has 3 slots to adjust eh jaws for different sized hooks, whle it's no thte perfect vice for teeny hooks, and does not do the best job on larger hooks, it is sufficient

My 40 year old Thompson 1A with three sets of jaws, takes maybe 20 seconds to swap them out. The regular jaws will handle 28- 3/0, but no, one single set of jaws won't handle that range for me. The big stuff is tough on jaws, 7/0 you're talking bench vise territory.

you need something like this. I built this a few years ago for holding my plugs as I paint them. Rotates and locks in any position. Bronze bushing, ss steel shaft. probably suit your job well. Find one of those school kids and give em a pic of this.