Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishalicious

Under $200 Reel for Lami 1083-2

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

I've done an extensive search on the topic, but can't find a definitive recommendation for a reel on a 9' Lami Ron Arra 1083-2, except for the VS 150, which is WAY out of my budget. Don't bother posting an "old Penn 712" because I need a 713 (lefty HappyWave.gif) and I don't have the time or will to tinker with the thing.

The Shimano Spheros 4000FB is the same weight as the VS 150 (about 12.5 oz), and the braid capacity seems reasonable for LI North Shore striper fishing. Any opinions on this reel being too small or are there other recommendations?

Thanks!

i like the stradic or sustain 5000. but i would say save up and get the vs. i love my 200 on my 10 footer. and i can tell you from expierience that the 150 is great on the 1083

i had a mitchell nautil 6500 on mine. nice fit if you can find one. daiwa advantage 4000 (i think, maybe 4500) is also a nice match. i think the stradic 5000 is a little heavy for that rod. just my opinion.

View Posti like the stradic or sustain 5000. but i would say save up and get the vs.

There's no way I'm going to save enough to fish it this spring. I've also heard too many stories of the handles exploding on these reels to even consider dropping that kind of cash.

I put a Quantum Cabo PTS 40, with 20# Sufix braid, on my 1 piece Arra 1083. Nice light outfit with enough balls to handle any striper I encounter on the open beach.

Spig

View PostI put a Quantum Cabo PTS 40, with 20# Sufix braid, on my 1 piece Arra 1083.

That's a good suggestion. The PTS 40 weighs 14.3 oz and holds 230 yds 10lbs. mono. Any reason not to bump down to the PTS 30 at 13.4 oz??

View PostI put a Quantum Cabo PTS 40, with 20# Sufix braid, on my 1 piece Arra 1083. Nice light outfit with enough balls to handle any striper I encounter on the open beach.

Spig

Agreed , good choice.

If you want to save a few bucks and never be sorry , take a look at the Daiwa SS2600, it's about half the price of the Cabo. It's proven, reliable and preferred by many more than you think.

Or if you really want to rob Peter to pay Paul, get yourself a Tica Libra, about a $60 bill, it's an awful lot of reel for that kind of money.

Of course if money's no object, the Cabo seems to be a good reel.

I've heard good things about the daiwa ss2600 as well

But my choice under $200 would be penn slammer 460 should do it.

I used 560 on 10 ft. stick and the reel performs!

Now if they made a bailless kit for itdrool.gif

View PostAs the earlier post show there are plenty of option. I have a Penn slammer 560 on mind and have been very happy with the performance.

I agree with the Slammer but the 460 will fit your 9' rod a little nicer than the 560... wink.gif

Chris