Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tacpayne

First attempt at Building a Rod

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Well here is some pictures of my first attempt at building a custom rod. The Blank is a lamiglas XSA 108 2h, I am building it for my 8 yr old son. I have never tried to do anything like this before, but can tell that I am already hooked. I am hoping to finish this one tomorrow, and start another this weekend. I will be trying a Chevron wrap next. I did get to pic someones brain a little, and bought Tom Kirkmans "Rod Building Guide".

That is a great first build!!

A little tip for the diamond wrap layout. If you do your layout tics (marks) along the edge of a piece of masking tape, you can carefully lay the tape on the correct axis on the blank and transfer the tics with a small scribe. Make a very small scratch in the clear coat, and you have the spot marked where the thread makes the layout cross.

This should keep the pattern from drifting off axis like the little bit I notice there.

Keep it up and go nuts!!

BTW, nice blankicon14.gif

View PostThat is a great first build!!

A little tip for the diamond wrap layout. If you do your layout tics (marks) along the edge of a piece of masking tape, you can carefully lay the tape on the correct axis on the blank and transfer the tics with a small scribe. Make a very small scratch in the clear coat, and you have the spot marked where the thread makes the layout cross.

This should keep the pattern from drifting off axis like the little bit I notice there.

Keep it up and go nuts!!

BTW, nice blankicon14.gif

Thanks for the tip. I taped a piece of marked thread to the blank for this one. It drives me nuts that it is off axis a little but I'm going to leave the way it is. That way I can look at my first wrap anytime I want to see, Hopefully, how much I've progressed. This is my first wrap at all, not cut offs or anything. I have really picked Gilmartin21's brain a ton. I'm not sure I would have got this far without his help. I guess I need to get Billy's book now and see what I can do. But a wrapper is in order first, the phone book tensioning device isnt really working for me.