Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JayC

Buying a new Chevy, Ford

23 posts in this topic

I am thinking about getting a new truck. I figure the deals should be pretty good right now, but after doing a little internet shopping with dealers I'm not finding as good a deal as I figured I would. Maybe I should have done this back in Nov/Dec.

Looking at the Chevy Silverado 2500 4door 4x4, and the Ford F250 XLT 4door 4x4.

Ford so far offered 09 xlt with an msrp of 43,865 for the internet price plus rebate .now 39,728. Just seems like a standard deal to me. I figured they want to move the inventory, guess not.

GM has a 1,500 rebate and a 3k brand loyalty rebate going on. Gm offered almost 2k off sticker also.

Anyone else shopping?

have to go to the dealer so you can look him in the eye to beat down the price....wink.gif

only thing the net is good for is checking inventory.

Wrong!

The last car we bought after I test drove it I went home and emailed the dealer for his lowest price and enclosed the vehicle's VIN. (The price he quoted me was about $100 over invoice, according to Edmunds.) I walked into the dealer with the internet price in hand and walked out an hour later with a new car, no negotiating or hassles.

are you buying a gas or diesel,I can tell that the ford gas engine sucks,I had fords for years,my favorite was my 1996 f250xlt 4x4 with the 351,I loved that truck it rode worse than a bulldozer,but man it could haul anything I hooked up to,It had a 130,000 miles on when I got rid of it,went to a chevy1500 extra cab 4x4 with the 5.3 liter,I love it,that v8 engine ford has in there 3/4 tons stink unless you can find one with a v10,but then again I haven't driven one of those either,matt,the chevies interior is far superior to fords also

Il'll never ever buy a new anything ever again!

2-3 years old is blissful.

Things that come to mind, Toyota, Nissan, and such.

I know, "Chevy the Heartbeat of America" and all, but they are mostly made in Canada and Mexico.

Small world = value for the buck.

I've been "boned" by the big 3 for so long, even if they do come up with a better mouse trap it'll take me several years to believe them!

Nothing to do with patriotism,,, everything to do with survival.

Check it out,,, compare,,, and decide for your self.

View PostWrong!

The last car we bought after I test drove it I went home and emailed the dealer for his lowest price and enclosed the vehicle's VIN. (The price he quoted me was about $100 over invoice, according to Edmunds.) I walked into the dealer with the internet price in hand and walked out an hour later with a new car, no negotiating or hassles.

last truck i bought by the time i left was 5 grand under the internet price and over 12 grand off the sticker.wink.gif

I know you are looking for a brand new truck, but have you considered used? I know you can find a 1999-2003 F-250, 7.3 powerstroke diesel, 4x4, crew cab (or the equivalent Chevy 2500 w/Duramax engine) for less than $10K if you look around. These two engines and drivetrains are "bullet proof" and more than likely can see 300K miles if properly maintained. The equivalent Dodge full-size with the diesel engine is also a good buy, except I would stay away from the automatic tranny.

Unless you are rolling in dough, I'd suspect there is some wisdom in postponing a $40K purchase in this unstable economy right now.

I've been driving a 2001 Silverado 1500, GAS, extended cab, 4x4, 4.10 rear for the past 8yrs and a few months, I bought it new in 2000. The truck has 94k on it, and I need to make a few repairs. front brakes, fuel filter, new plugs, wires, trans flush, and probably a new fuel sending unit, maybe even a fuel pump while I'm in the tank for the sending unit. My gas guage jumps all over the place everytime I fill it up. At least a day or two. The dealer says they have seen it, and it usually leads to a failing fuel pump. So I figure I'm at least in the hole $1500 for all this, maybe more. I have over $2600 towards a new GM so I figured maybe now is the time to shop. My truck seems to be worth 6k-8k on the blue book site.

I need a V8 full sized truck that can tow a good 5700lbs. Boat,Gas,Motor=(4500lb boat) + trailer=(1200lb). I was going to run this current truck another 3 years or even longer if it kept going, but then this idea popped into my head. Truck still looks new, runs good, plenty of get up and go. The 5.3 V8 has a lot of power. The one thing I'll miss the most right now is my REVO tires I have on it. They have incredible traction on wet surfaces. No slipping in the rain and they are 8 months old.

I'm not against a used truck, but I want one with low miles, like 24k or under. I'm going to both Ford and Chevy dealers this Saturday to see what they have. I'm not interested in the Toyota or Nissan. I had one, friends have them, I just don't like them.

Never considered a diesel. I heard a few sizes from Ford were less desireable than the 7.? powerstroke diesel. Even with a power chip my friend in his F250 7.? powerstroke only gets 15 mpg. I do that in my Chevy now.

High gas prices stink, but what can I do. I need a full sized truck as long as I tow a boat. I guess I'll look tomorrow, drive a few and see what I like.

It kind of blows my mind that a pickup Sticker cost is 40k now. I remember buying a new 91 Blazer for 15k, and my current 2001 truck for 25k. I should probably have my head examined for even thinking about a new 40k truck.

I do not suggest getting the newer Ford 6.0 (2003-2007) or 6.4 (2008-on) liter Powerstroke diesels. They suck compared to the older 7.3 liter Powerstroke engine. All the Chevy/GM Duramax diesel engines are great, but cost a little more than the Fords.

Towing a boat isn't going to get you any kind of decent gas mileage, no matter what you get. Might be worth it to fix your Chevy and run it into the ground for 5 years or so, then get a new truck. $2k to fix the old versus $40K out of your pocket (not including finance charges if you take a loan out). After five years, your original truck will be worth close to nothing and your new truck will be worth less than $20K.

Finding a truck with less than 24K miles on the odometer means you'll be spending around $30K-$35K at a dealer. If you're lucky, you might find someone trying to unload a truck cause he can't make payments. You don't seem to be in a rush - take your time and keep looking. You should be able to find what you want in the $25-30K range on Craigslist.

Thanks fishn808.

I'm not in a rush, just wanted to see if I could get a killer deal with the economy being so crappy and GM having big $$ problems. The 09 Chevy 2500HD 4door 4x4 looks to be costing me around 24K with my trade and discounts on the original 40k Sticker price, so that's not too bad. I'll see tomorrow when I roll into the dealer. I was hoping to pay more like 19k, but that may have been a pipe dream.

The Ford seems to be much more because they don't have the same size discounts as Chevy right now. I'll check it out in person tomorrow.

Maybe they will have a few used or left overs, we shall see. Not in a rush and starting to lean more towards skipping the whole idea. Just fix my truck and hold onto it a few more years like you're saying.