Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jkhom

star -vs- lever

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

This has been hashed out here many times. On most star drag reels when you have to let out more line when needed, to most people its easier to flick the spool release back and forth than it is to move the lever back to "bait" or "free",then back to strike.

I started with a lever for togging and argued that it was basically the same for letting out line. Then I experimented with both and found that I prefered a star drag reel for two reasons. It is easier to release more line as needed and I found that if I needed to adjust the drag while reeling in a big fish, like when he gets near the boat and makes his final run to try and get back to the bottom, I could ease up on the drag a with more precision with the star.

These are only MY reasons for using a star drag reel. I still have my SX and I like the reel. I might even use it again for tog just cause I want to,but my main reels are Newells. I see a lot of guys using Avets and some TLD's and if thats their preference than so be it.

View PostHey Razz,

Fairly new to togging. Which Newell do you suggest for a 7 foot MH rod? Currently I fish a Penn Jigmaster which is heavy?

I like the 220 cause its narrow. 13.6 ozs.

Get the 5:1.1 It will be a bit faster when you have to rebait and it has plenty of power.

View PostIF you fish tight to your sinker and bounce in a swell all day, a lever drag is no different from a star drag.

You are rite. I have used both and its just what you like. I used newells for decade's with no issues. A few years ago I started using a 270, this year I bought a 197 2 speed figuring I loved the 270 so much. I haven't used the 197 once since using a saltiga 20. So I guess its just preferance. If it works for you fine. There is no rite way in this game of ours.

If you do get a 200 series Newell do yourself a favor and get a 400 series handle for it. I bought the last two that were on the auction site. The extra length really makes a difference when reeling in a nice fish.