Thinking of getting a Penn 330GT2 reel

Rate this topic

vodafone1963

I been shopping for a reel/rod for about a week now and i want to find the right one for the right price.

A good deal i found was a Penn 330GT2 reel combo with a Penn 6'6 slammer rod 30-50lbs for $120.

and thinking about power pro 60# pound line (moss green) for that rig

How does these reel handle sturgeons and strippers? I wanted a lever drag and a line guide conventional reel but didnt find one for a good price with good reviews. If you guys know of any good lever drag and line guide let me know. thanks.

I bought this one:

http://**********************/penn-3...c66-combo.html

I used a similar setup on a charter boat. I caught some stripers about 28".

The reel was great imho. The boat I was on pretty much uses the gt2 for almost everything.

I used the gt2 and slammer surf fishing with clams right after christmas, didnt catch anything. But i enjoyed the setup.

The rod isnt really for surf fishing( more jetty & boat) so I am gonna buy a surf rod for throwin plugs.

Go for the 320GT2 as other members have suggested.

The 330 is on the large side. As far as the difference from the GTi there is really no difference, they just renamed them.

As SandFlee said you should definitely keep a good stock of Pawls, Worm Gears and Idler Gear. Once the Pawl goes, there is a good possibility of the Worm Gear getting chewed up and then the Idler Gear which is just a small white plastic gear attached to the Worm Gear. The Idler Gear is the heart of the operation, too bad they made them plastickooky.gif

I have a buddy who has a few 320GT2's and he'll use those over his Avet anyday of the week.

Hope this helps.

-Jr

MSA Member # 0420

L.I. Til I Die!

View PostShimano Tekota is a much better and stronger reel and comes in more sizes

Has a better drag and a metal frame.

Tekotas are good reels, but have seen one too many repaired. My father does reel repair, and is pretty damn good at it.

The GTi(2)'s that come in the shop rarely have a problem other than the levelwind problem.

Most of the Tekotas that come in need serious overhauls, even the ones that are properly taken care of.

-Jr

MSA Member # 0420

L.I. Til I Die!

View Postthanks to all that reply. im going with the Penn 320GT2 reel combo with a 6 foot rod 20-50lbs for $130. not a bad price to start out.

Def a good price, I've seen the 20-50lb rods. They are actually quite stiff, you might want to check out the rating just below that.

-Jr

MSA Member # 0420

L.I. Til I Die!

View PostI been shopping for a reel/rod for about a week now and i want to find the right one for the right price.

A good deal i found was a Penn 330GT2 reel combo with a Penn 6'6 slammer rod 30-50lbs for $120.

and thinking about power pro 60# pound line (moss green) for that rig

How does these reel handle sturgeons and strippers? I wanted a lever drag and a line guide conventional reel but didnt find one for a good price with good reviews. If you guys know of any good lever drag and line guide let me know. thanks.

The GT2 isn't the lever drag model . The reel you want is either the Penn 320LD or 330LD . Decent reels if you want the lever drag/level wind combo . My buddy brought 2 of them along on our Monday trip striper fishing in the ocean off OC MD . We use them for trolling only , pulling umbrella rigs , daisy chains and mojo's . It will handle any striper that swims and I'm sure with larger line capacity the 330 will have no problem with pretty good sized sturgeon . The rod is just a cheap enticement to make you think you're getting a deal . Those reels retail for $ 139.99 for the 320 and $149.990 for the 330

---