Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richs

What size Ross?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

As a major Ross fan, I suggest you consider the protection of fine tippets at least as much as the reel weight. For trout you may be fishing 6x or even 7x. The smaller reel will have less start-up inertia, a lighter drag range and do a much better job of protecting light tippets. Just my 2 cents.

View Postkross I wasnt thinking it was going to be as much of an issue as overlining.

I made a decision like this once, chose the bigger reel and regretted it. Broke off a number of fish on light tippets before sending the reel back to Ross. They lightened up the drag for me but it was never ideal. If you intend to fish light tippets much, its an issue.

Dear richs,

Since you didn't mention what model Ross reel you are considering I'll give you my experience based on Gunnisons and Cimarrons.

The #2 is more than adequate for use with a 6 weight line. A Gunnison #2 will hold almost 150 yards of 20# dacron and a SA WF6 distance taper with room to spare.

I have a Gunnison #3 and it holds a 105 foot SA saltwater WF7 and over 150 yards of #20 dacron. You'll need 200 yards of backing to fill the reel with a 90 foot WF6.

Cimarrons are the same physical size in diameter and width as the Gunnisons so the same words hold true.

Now if you are looking at a more modern and stylish reduced capacity reel, otherwise known as a large arbor, then you are on your own.wink.gif

Regards,

Tim Murphysmile.gif

A #2 will work, but I'd go with a #3. I just think a #3 is much more versatile. You can use it with other rods and for different application, like putting it on a salty six.

I could be wrong, but I believe that the 2 and the 3 have the exact same drag, so it is just a matter of the size (1/4" difference in diameter) and weight (a few tenths of an ounce). I have used one of my two Gunnison 3 reels on my 8'6" 5wt rod, with no problems. The drag adjusts all of the way down to zero and is quite smooth.

I suggested the 3 for the same reason as Stonefish, it is much more versatile. I have used mine on my 5 wt, 6 weight trout rod, my 6 wt bonefish rod, and on all three of my 8 weights. Regardless of the reel size, you only have to install as much backing as you want (maybe 150 yards). That way you can keep the weight down and fit a 4,5,6, 7 or even 8 weight lines on the reel at any time.

The 2 and 3 have the same drag design, not the same drag. The spool on the 3 is larger in diameter AND in width. Makes a big difference. My advice would be to try them both side by side. If you can't do that, buy the 2.

For trout you will never need more than 100 yards of backing. If you do, you have problems a reel can't fix. The 2 will hold a #6 line and at least 100 yards of backing. That's perfect for trout. If you want a bonefish reel, then buy one made for the job.

And, thanks for posting this. These winter discussions are the perfect cure for the shack nasties!

All things being equal, shouldn't a larger diameter have a lower start up inertia? Anyway, it will be used for 5x and bigger. I's going to Patagonia in a couple weeks. smile.gif

Rich there are twofactors in the startup inertia. They probably are moot points. The two factors are weight of spool and diameter. The probably cancel eachother out. If anyone doubts the amount of difference diameter makes, take two reels fill them full one in a number 2 size one in a number 5 size. The difference is huge. In short go with the three.

View PostAll things being equal, shouldn't a larger diameter have a lower start up inertia? Anyway, it will be used for 5x and bigger. I's going to Patagonia in a couple weeks. smile.gif

No, I assume because of the higher weight of the spool. At least that's been my experience. And it seems the drag is quite a bit different.

It's always interesting to theorize, but how stuff should be on paper, and how it plays out in the real world (where we actually fish) are 2 different things. As I said, the larger reel was a killer for me with light tippets.

However, if you are using it with 5X and up, shouldn't be much of an issue.

That said, if you snap off a monster, don't say I didn't warn you. biggrin.gif

Enjoy your trip!