Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

Don't open any zip file from unknown sender

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

My friend just email this from his company reguarding to a worm that infected his company. Just a reminder again, do not open any unknown file or zip files from unknown senders. All it take is just one click and the whole system gets infected.

Our IT folks have been busy all evening and night fighting a particularly ugly worm running through our network. Yesterday a Raytheon employee opened up a malicious e-mail on his Yahoo mail account and then opened an attached .zip file (bypassing our filters) that turned out to contain malicious code. Notifications are going out to CIOs and employees - I wanted the LT to also be aware.

The result was a new version of a known virus that automatically propagates itself by searching for e-mail addresses on the hard drive and then sending out infected Hallmark Greeting Card or IKEA e-mails from the victim. The virus is capable of spamming itself to hundreds of addresses per minute. The malicious code associated with this trojan installs additional information-stealing trojans, adware and fake anti-spyware applications. The infected computers are often "sold" to third parties. We had 11 infected so far and expect a few more when folks come in today even though we are working to identify and clean all recipients' mailboxes and have taken steps to stop further spread.

I get 5 Emails a week from Paypal telling me there is a security problem regarding my account and need to log in immediately or lose my privileges. Its of course a phishing scam.

View PostPeople who open that crap deserve what they get. STOP DOWNLOADING EVERY ATTACHMENT YOU GET.

Right. But the admin has to spend 2 days to a week to clean out the server with those craps.

View PostPeople who open that crap deserve what they get. STOP DOWNLOADING EVERY ATTACHMENT YOU GET.

damnit. i have to agree with paddy.

if you are THAT stupid, that you open an email from someone you don't know, then open an attachment from someone you don't know and don't recognize and aren't expecting, then you totally deserve whatever happens. last week i had someone at work call me over and ask if I thought this was fake, and they showed me an email from "The UPS" with an attachment to get the tracking number for some botched up shipment. I said are you expecting a UPS shipment? he said, no. I said did you ship anything UPS? he said no. I said, so why the hell would you open this?????

View PostI don't open zip files from most people I know

People are confused.gif

That's the way to go. People know not to send me that **** because I'll reply and tell them not to send me that crap. I'd only open it if I had requested it. Other than, eff that. Viruses spread because people are stupid.

View PostRight. But the admin has to spend 2 days to a week to clean out the server with those craps.

Oh, I definitely feel badly for the admin but at the same time, an admin should have control over his network. People shouldn't be allowed to do personal business on an email account and shouldn't accept attachments from outside sources.

If you are under 40 and computer savvy this advice is about as obvious as don't eat gum stuck under tables at the diner.

However - older folks (like my mother) are victimized by these things.

I would like to see some of these idiots that write viruses or phishing scammers beaten with a stick. More likley they get hired by Mcafee and Nortons.

The fact is software is a horrible industry with near zero quality control. If the sw products were built right they wouldnt be so easily fd with. The amount of stupid errors and viruses that happen in windows is enough to enact the lemon laws and criminals like Bill gates should be thrown in jail

View PostPatrick agreed I dont know how many viruses I cleaned off my grandmothers computer because she opens every forward.

This is why I refused to be networked to the desktop. Virus scanner is out of date. Firewall out of date. Something pops up and it's immediately Xed out without reading it. Spybot hasn't been run in months and the same goes with Adware. Windows is never updated. No thanks! Want no part of that.

I thought this was an established tenant for all internet users. C'mon, if you don't have the common sense to know not to open some files, you shouldn't be on the computer at all. A library would be more fitting for your kind.