Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianZ

beginner shopping

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

if you were to recommend to someone that was new to the sport where to find information and a good place to shop for equipment who/where would you recommend?

I obviously always give SOL first mention because to me you cant find this amount of information anywhere(and the owner is a nice guy most days wink.gif ) after that, depending on how informed they are i tell em to go to a mom and pop place but with a grain of salt since i have (we all have im sure) seen some truely horrific advice given out to greenhorns.

i know some people are very behind the mom and pop shops but all are not created equal. and i think just supporting the mom and pop's blindly at times for the sake of keeping business away from large chains that are completely useless to a beginner with questions is bad advice. any comments?

BZ, I've found that you can get much better advice and more personal attention from the small shops than you can from a large chain. Besides the interent, I would probably send them to the shops that I've found to be reliable in the past.

I think a combination of the two is good for someone just starting out. You can do a ton of research on message boards like this, but somethimes you need to wiggle the rod and balance a reel on it. Here on SOL, you can atleast do some legwork and have a couple different options and then test out what is best for you instead on going into a shop blind. For other stuff like plugs and other tackle, SOL is a great resource especially when tackle shops work day hours and you are a night fisherman. For the beginner, keeping a relationship with a shop can be helpful too so that they know you are fishing alot and they can point you in the right direction when needed. I think the shop has to be in proximity to where you are fishing though for it to be helpful like that though. I have seen some absolutely horrible advice given by guys in a shop that is 30 miles from the saltwater about equipment and techniques and it was obvious the guys at the counter were just regurgitating stuff they have heard or read and got it wrong somewhere along the way. If you have a shop that is close to where you fish, I think it can be just as valuable a resource as places like this.

Charlie

kind of my point Gami, you would recommend by name, those shops you found were reliable thru trial and error by being a patron. you wouldnt blindly recommend the person to any mom and pop for the same reason that you wouldnt recommend a large chain like SA.

Agreed that the large chains are useless and also that all Mom & Pop's are not created equal. You can indeed get a lot of good advice and quality gear here, only problem is ya gotta feel it up somewhere first. That said, I'd steer them towards a known store with good folks and quality gear. If they are even a little bit serious I steer them towards solid quality gear. I would think most of us has a load of mistakes and 'buy your way up' gear that I know I wish I'd avoided. Buy it right the first time, even if it costs you. Every dollar you spend at the chains is money not going to the local folks, if ya put the locals out, where will you get good advice, decent recent reports (I know you're all liars but), fresh bait, live bait, quick repairs, etc. Support your local B&T. I'm trying to get my employer to take out pre tax dollars and direct deposit them at Causeway (kinda like a 401K or paycheck savings plan).

IMO I would speak to as many local shops as you can as info differs from shop to shop. For decent equipment Sports Authority makes it easy. Ask the local shops for a recommended rod builder if you have the cash.

IMO I would speak to as many local shops as you can as info differs from shop to shop. For decent equipment Sports Authority makes it easy. Ask the local shops for a recommended rod builder if you have the cash.

again thats kinda my point tho. if a guy who knows very little goes to different shops some of them are gonna peg him as an easy mark so to speak.how would he know ?

Brian,

I guess there's no real way of protecting one's self from being an easy mark for bad advice or buying equipment a shop has pushed on you so he can clear some space in the store room for new stuff.

My first rod was a Daiwa Sealine-X that i got from Fairfield fishing tackle. We both know that place and while they are decent guys they are overpriced and there are shops with staff that are more knowledgable about saltwater fishing than they are. They recommended that rod and it turns out they were right on. It's a great rod for a beginner or anyother skill level IMO.

I've been fortunate enough in my limited fishing experience to befriend people that have a wealth of knowledge and could point me in the right direction and at times lend me the same equipment I was looking at for a test run before I shelled out my $.

I do/did go to SA/Walmart/KMart from time to time to see what they had in their discount bins and see if they had some clearance deals. I do remember getting a lot of freshwater stuff from those places as well. I'm not sure I would take much stock in any advice I would get from any of the sales people though. I'm sure there are some that are knowledgable but I worked with a guy that part-timed at SA and he knew squat.

All in all I think that a person should experience all the different vendors and make the decision for his/herself. Along the way I'm sure they'll get duped from time to time but it's all part of the experience. We've all been there.

Mike W.

PS I'm not sure I answered your question. At times I tend to start to babble and lose sight of the point. smile.gif

I think you guys are going about this advice the wrong way. In my Opinion it would be better to go to the source rather than the supplier. Meaning hit the beaches and do some scouting. Face it even the most Crusty of us still have a tendency during slow times to stand around with our hands in our pockets and shoot the breeze. (Hey I've seen the fling pictures, pocket pool is the second higest rated sport back east) Now as a new guy don't come on and open your mouth and ask those stupid questions, but instead listen to what these guys are saying making mental notes to what places they spout, lures and other tidbits that come out of these wells of information. Then go check out what they got hanging from their cars and trucks. Type and size of rods, reels, lures they got hanging from thier racks. If you can trap one by his self ask them about that camper or truck that they are so proud of or the VS reel hanging on the sweet looking stick. Believe me guys have a tendecy to brag about such things. Once you got them warmed up. Then hit them with the more specific questions, Gee, how does that rod throw, What types of lures do you think work best with that blank. man oh man here comes the info. Start taking mental notes as he tells you how well he throws a "needle". Oh really what color and weight do you like best? Really? when did you last hook a fish with a needle? last night? Cool. Gee was that you at ****** that landed fish. A no I fished **************. Hmmmmmmm Once you get close to guys you will be able to gather information that you can use to buy the stuff you need to start. Proper rod size, reel, line, lures.

90% of the time you hit a shop the guy behind the counter isn't up to speed as to what works or dosen't work.

Also check out guys that are actually working a spot, see what they are using and how in fact they actually swimm a plug or where they throw it.

Scouting, information gathering or just plain doing your homework always works best.

I think you guys are going about this advice the wrong way. In my Opinion it would be better to go to the source rather than the supplier. Meaning hit the beaches and do some scouting.

You'd send someone brand new to the sport out to do some scouting? But they ain't even got gear yet - and they have no idea what they are looking for. What good is some scouting gonna do them? Just curious smile.gif

And the pictures you see from the Flings are taken during the day - only westcoast clucks fish during the day tongue.gifwink.gif

TimS

Now as a new guy don't come on and open your mouth and ask those stupid questions

Ummm...one more thing wink.gif As an administrator of this site, I'd like to say Pffffft! to that quote Winch smile.gif I'd rather a new guy drop by and ask 100 "stupid" questions here than stand in my armpit and try to watch what I'm doin' and ask me 100 "stupid" questions while I'm tryin' to fish smile.gif

Maybe it's just me, but forums are a much better place for "stupid" questions than buggin' people that are tryin' to fish smile.gif

California must be really different from the east coast wink.gif

TimS

A combination of the two with a major plus side to the Mom and Pop shop, most chain purchases for me are made while Im in the store looking for something else and somethin pops out at me, recent chain purchases include Spiderwire Stealth line, a headlamp, a few Yozuri darters, so nothing major but I wont say I never buy from them.

I like to shop the Mom and Pops and give em my $$$, I rely on them for fresh bait, parts, equipment and being opened when I need them. Thers a local shop in Pt. Pleasant thats open 24/7 and I appreciate it and I give him my business.

You'd send someone brand new to the sport out to do some scouting? But they ain't even got gear yet - and they have no idea what they are looking for. What good is some scouting gonna do them? Just curious smile.gif

Tim, If a guy from England came to the United States and he wanted to learn about baseball. Would you send him to Sears or a baseball supply store to learn the game or would you take him to a basebal game? Any kind a baseball game, Little league or the Pro's. Same with fishing go out sit back and watch and learn. See what is being used and how it is played out. Learn the important questions before you ask the dumb ones. That is the way to go about doing it the right way.

Tim, If a guy from England came to the United States and he wanted to learn about baseball. Would you send him to Sears or a baseball supply store to learn the game or would you take him to a basebal game? Any kind a baseball game, Little league or the Pro's. Same with fishing go out sit back and watch and learn. See what is being used and how it is played out. Learn the important questions before you ask the dumb ones. That is the way to go about doing it the right way.

Yeah but he's coming here to participate and actually play in the games and not sit on the sidelines and watch. Same as fishing, no? The guy isn't getting into fishing to sit on the beach or boardwalk to watch. He's getting into the game and is already interested in the sport. Now he needs advice on equipment. So yes I would send him to a sporting goods store or a baseball supply store to get gloves, bats, helmets, balls etc... I guess I assume the individual has already read a bunch of books and talked with the people he knew who do fish about certain equipment. At least that's what i did.

Mike W.