Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeadlyDick

Hi-Low Rig

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I gave up the high-low as it was one more thing to go wrong (bad knot, hook snagging fish or you, debris). It does give some comfort that you still have at least one soft bait out there working for you, though. Then again I haven't clammed in a couple years.

In answer to the first reply:

I am using it for clams and chunks off the beach.

Honestly, I used to fish a top and bottom with worm when I first started. I quickly changed to a fishfinder rig. I dont lob clam much anymore but i stick with that. breakaway makes decent rigs too if you are concerned with distance. I use to tie two dropper loops 20" apart with 1' tag on top and bottom. Swivel up top...large snap at the bottom for weight. Ill post pics of some rigs later if nobody does.

Sorry guys, in the surf, nix the fishfinder....and use the hi-lo, or same set up with single hook.....

Fishfinders DON'T work like they are supposed to in the surf, (no matter how much you wanna wish they do) and there are too many other drawbacks with them, especialy chucking clams.

But that's just my opinion........

You are better off using a fish-finder rig.Try to use circle hooks when using clams as bait.

I cant cast effectively with a fishfinder rig in the surf. It tangles. The hi-low seems compact and should cast well.

you really should not use a fishfinder in the surf. from my experiences they are not the best to cast, and if you are going to let the fish take the clam and run, chances are that it will be gut hooked. it does not take long for a bass to put a clam in its mouth and to swallow it. its not like a fishing a bunker

For a fish finder rig your leader should only be 6 to 12" From the barrel swivel.Also very inportent to hold the rod.Do not set it in a sandspike & wait for the rod to double over.If you hold the rod you get less gut hooked fish.IMO

Fish find is all i use for fishing crabs in the summer. I use a stop which I believe allows me cast a bit better. I think most of the guys that fish crabs around here do the same.