Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
valentine

Accurate reel conversions worth it ?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Thinking of upgrading a penn squidder with accurate aftermarket parts and was wondering if any of you have done this.If so which parts did you use and were you satisfied? I have no complaints with the stock squidder , but if the conversion truly makes a significant difference I'll spend the time and money to do it.Thanks for your answers.

Valentine

valentine,

From my experience with Accurate conversions (which is limited), they are meant for situations where the target fish will really test the tolerances of the original reel. They are popular on the west coast for long range tuna, where a small, light, yet tough reel spooled with braid is the standard.

What do you plan to use the reel for? IMHO, if you are happy with the performance of the squidder, I see no reason to spend the extra cash.

------------------

John B

mako7@monmouth.com

I have two fully Accurized Squidder Juniors. I picked them up when Offshore Angler discontinued carrying them.

Great performance but it adds an incredible amount of additional weight.

John B, thanks for your answer. I only plan to use the reel for plugging in the surf for stripers and blues, but I guess I'm intrigued by the possibility of getting a "super" reel that will outperform all else.Plus, the accurate parts make the reel look pretty sharp.Probably, the performance gain would be minimal with the accurate parts, and I'd see better performance simply by putting in better bearings.

Valentine

Al G, extra weight? I thought it would end up lighter. This idea is sounding worse and worse. My wife will appreciate that your comments will save us some $$$. Thanks guys!

Valentine

Here is a slightly less exspensive alternative to the Accurate kit. It doesn't give you the flashy side plates, but it does provide the one piece aluminum frame that eliminates the crossbars. I have converted my 3/0 and I love it. That being said, for the purposes that you describe, I doubt that it is necessary.

http://www.tiburoneng.com/html/squidder_frames.html

CA,

The fully converted Squidder Junior weighs 22 ounces.

A Calcutta 400S and a Newell 229-3.6 loaded with 30# Power Pro are my two casting and

eeling reels.

Al

For surfcasting, I doubt the tradeoff of increased frame strength and fussy spool alignment is worth the increased weight, corrosion sensitivity, or decreased tolerance of sand ingestion. Al's reels are better; so would be a GS 525 or Abu 6500. Want a super dooper small reel with bells and whistles, consult Fishweewee on his tailored 6500; it's barely legal to carry the thing.

I put a Tiburon frame on one of my Squidders. It looks nice, but performance-wise, it wasn't worth the $50 or so I spent on the kit.

The only worthwhile tweak they could offer for surfcasting, on the Squidder, is aftermarket gears that would up the retrieve ratio to something like 4.5:1. Brian's right---an Accurate conversion could reduce the Squidder's ability to stand up to sand contamination.