Can Brady group stop CCW in parks?

Rate this topic

jesbion

For those who were looking forward to carrying their own protection in the Nat. parks and refuges....

Fox news is reporting the lawsuit: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008...federal-parks/

WASHINGTON -- An anti-gun group is suing to stop a last-second Bush administration change that would allow Americans to carry concealed, loaded guns in most national parks and wildlife refuges.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence sued the Interior Department in federal court on Tuesday.

They want a federal judge to stop the elimination of a 25-year-old federal rule severely restricting loaded guns in national parks.

The previous regulation required that firearms be unloaded and placed somewhere that is not easily accessible, such as inside a car trunk. But in January, visitors will be able to carry a loaded gun into a park or wildlife refuge if the person has a concealed weapon permit and if state law also allows concealed firearms.

Probably not considering the Heller decision, but if you will recall, the SCOTUS vote as an individual right was very close. The Brady group is no stranger to lawsuits so expect this to go quite far.

With Obama's opposing stance on any conceal carry (except LEO's) and his promise to reinstate the AWB, the next few years could be tough on 2A supporters.

View PostProbably not considering the Heller decision, but if you will recall, the SCOTUS vote as an individual right was very close. The Brady group is no stranger to lawsuits so expect this to go quite far.

With Obama's opposing stance on any conceal carry (except LEO's) and his promise to reinstate the AWB, the next few years could be tough on 2A supporters.

Since we will not be able to protect ourselves, even if licensed as we are supposed to be, perhaps Mr Pres elect can get criminals to get their license to rob and kill.

After all, the states will need the money to clean up our dead bodies.

cwm13.gif

Proud to be a NERB and I have the shirts to prove it!!

View PostCarry at all times screw the laws when every second counts the police are ALWAYS minutes away

Screw the laws? I'm a supporter of concealed carry, but not at the expense breaking current law. If you don't like the laws, work hard to get them changed. If you are out there breaking the law then you are no better than the thugs that are doing likewise.

View PostCan Brady group stop CCW in parks?

For those who were looking forward to carrying their own protection in the Nat. parks and refuges....

Fox news is reporting the lawsuit: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008...federal-parks/

WASHINGTON -- An anti-gun group is suing to stop a last-second Bush administration change that would allow Americans to carry concealed, loaded guns in most national parks and wildlife refuges.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence sued the Interior Department in federal court on Tuesday.

They want a federal judge to stop the elimination of a 25-year-old federal rule severely restricting loaded guns in national parks.

The previous regulation required that firearms be unloaded and placed somewhere that is not easily accessible, such as inside a car trunk. But in January, visitors will be able to carry a loaded gun into a park or wildlife refuge if the person has a concealed weapon permit and if state law also allows concealed firearms.

Why not?

Their group and a few federal judges don't care about the United States Constitution.

"Ok, Eddy you were right" - minivin5
"Oddly enough, Eddy is right fairly often"- TimS

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

"Say what you will about Eh-ddy but he actually does know a few things." - The Commish

View PostScrew the laws? I'm a supporter of concealed carry, but not at the expense breaking current law. If you don't like the laws, work hard to get them changed. If you are out there breaking the law then you are no better than the thugs that are doing likewise.

Agreed. It is easy to get swept up by emotion a throw out what you'd like to, but... when you think through the implications, Hawker and CD are correct. Disregarding the law because you don't agree removes any ground you had to stand on.

I don't think it is too far out or the realm of today's possibility to see changes in gun laws that bring state governments into legal conflict with federal legislations and vis a vis, the Federal Government.

Please note, I said LEGAL CONFLICT, meaning in a court of law. Although things are not great economically and there seems to be widening distance between opinions on what is "right", I don't see us taking up arms against one another.

Jeff B.

"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
Plutarch

1) re: specific lawsuit, not sure if Brady has (legal) standing.

2) it takes a while for regulations to get reversed. the next administration could undo NP CCW, but it would take time.

3) re congress. brady has an uphill battle in the house, but has friends in the senate.

View PostScrew the laws? I'm a supporter of concealed carry, but not at the expense breaking current law. If you don't like the laws, work hard to get them changed. If you are out there breaking the law then you are no better than the thugs that are doing likewise.

If you get caught you are just stupid oryou needed it. (judged by 12 or carried by 6) it's that simple

Life is Good

View PostIf you get caught you are just stupid oryou needed it. (judged by 12 or carried by 6) it's that simple

Stupid by obeying the law or stupid by wantonly disrespecting the law? You're kidding, right?

I have CCW licenses issued by 3 states which gives me reciprosity in over 30 more. When I travel to or through a state that I am not licensed to carry, I unload and lock up my firearms and ammo and respect their laws. You would be well served to do the same. You give all responsible gun owners and those carrying legally, a bad name. No wonder the Brady people get all wet when they hear about folks like you.

I think you are from Delaware. This is our law:

§ 1442. Carrying a concealed deadly weapon; class G felony; class E felony.

A person is guilty of carrying a concealed deadly weapon when the person carries concealed a deadly weapon upon or about the person without a license to do so as provided by § 1441 of this title.

Carrying a concealed deadly weapon is a class G felony, unless the accused has been convicted within the previous 5 years of the same offense, in which case it is a class E felony. (11 Del. C. 1953, § 1442; 58 Del. Laws, c. 497, § 1; 59 Del. Laws, c. 547, § 13; 67 Del. Laws, c. 130, § 8; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1.)

It's that simple.

View PostStupid by obeying the law or stupid by wantonly disrespecting the law? You're kidding, right?

I have CCW licenses issued by 3 states which gives me reciprosity in over 30 more. When I travel to or through a state that I am not licensed to carry, I unload and lock up my firearms and ammo and respect their laws. You would be well served to do the same. You give all responsible gun owners and those carrying legally, a bad name. No wonder the Brady people get all wet when they hear about folks like you.

I think you are from Delaware. This is our law:

§ 1442. Carrying a concealed deadly weapon; class G felony; class E felony.

A person is guilty of carrying a concealed deadly weapon when the person carries concealed a deadly weapon upon or about the person without a license to do so as provided by § 1441 of this title.

Carrying a concealed deadly weapon is a class G felony, unless the accused has been convicted within the previous 5 years of the same offense, in which case it is a class E felony. (11 Del. C. 1953, § 1442; 58 Del. Laws, c. 497, § 1; 59 Del. Laws, c. 547, § 13; 67 Del. Laws, c. 130, § 8; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1.)

It's that simple.

Don't give me a reason to show you that I have it.Its that simple

Life is Good