Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spinner27

caught my second striper!

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

last night i caught my second striped bass. i was trolling out of a canoe around the norwalk islands with a buddy of mine at around midnight. we rigged up make-shift running lights for the boat out of flashlights and a green glowstick. about 10 min. after we headed out i said "i really hope we get a large striper." just as i was saying this, my friend grabbed the rod, and we had one! once we got it to the boat (it was a small one-about 20 in.)i had the net ready (i thought it was probably a bluefish). just before scooping it up, i realized it was actually a striped bass. in the excitement of the moment, i netted him instead of grabbing him. big mistake. the treble hooks of the plug we were trolling with became entangled. first, i removed the fish; then i fixed the net situation. we continued on for about an hour and a half. first we covered the area a few more times where we had gotten this one, then we moved on. we didn't get anything else. when we made it back to shore, we realized what part of the problem was- we had a jellyfish on the lure. it never occured to us to check to make sure it was working properly. oh well, we're still on the steep part of the learning curve. we won't make that mistake again. it was a fun time. can't wait to do it again.

Congratulations. Utlimately, we are all getting out there to have a great time and you achieved that.

Now that you have determined that trolling jellyfish is a poor tactic, you should be well on your way to getting more on down the road (tide). biggrin.gif

thats cool,trolling is a great way to get fish,,,

too bad most folks dont do it anymore.

Ill tell ya try trolling with some long lipped bomber type lures sort of slow in maybe 30-40 ft of water and you will have a blast

try it. tongue.gif